Symphony headunit...

Mil

Just read up on a Rane AC23 crossover, pro audio unit...it's got a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filter alignment...maybe I'm expecting too much from my little amp.

You didn't insult me by any means so there is no need to apologize, really :)

3rd order crossover is usually more than enough. Try listening with your new sub, maybe it will fix those bleeding problems. Also, if you are not aiming for SQ competition, buy a new HU instead of an external crossover.

Got my new sub, 12" Tremor 600, without the crossover, since I decided maybe it was the sub...

Well...my thoughts and your thoughts were correct.

First off, I'll say my new sub is very pretty. Black and red, like my interiors.

Second, it moves so much air my hair moves like in the wind! It takes sooo little power to get the sub workin' like nuts, and it's bloody punchy! :eek:

Third, my thoughts and your thoughts were right. It was the first sub that was the problem. Frequency response of somewhere from 60Hz to the low-mid band. And because it was a pro-audio sub, it takes more power from the amp to drive it before it actually starts moving air. With my old sub, I had my gain on zero, otherwise it would start clipping.

This new sub however, is completely different. My gain pot is just a little above half now, I've reset the filter to a little below 100Hz, and I have pure bass now, with no bleed.

It sounds excellent now, might need to turn the gain down a bit but it's late now, and I ain't bothered to go down to do it.

I'll put some pics up later.

Thanks everyone for helping me out. Thanks to the internet, I now see how different car audio is to pro audio...I should have bought this sub in the first place. I've removed my old driver and the old box...am using the driver as a spare part now for work in case someone needs a replacement driver for a blown 200W @ 8 ohm speaker.

Haven't had time to take pics yet, but this is a picture of what I have...well almost...the one I have is an Earthquake DBR12..., and this is a DBXR12...difference being 400W in power, the XR series being more powerful...they look the same though.

product_340038.jpg

MODEL: DBR-12

600 MAX

Fs = 27Hz....God damn!

Qts = 0.6339

Vas = 3.19 cubic ft

Sen = 90dB

2" polymide coil (4 ohms)

50 Oz magnet

Santoprene surround