Any tips for tracking down an air leak?

Ok no worries, thanks for all your help though mate. Very useful info!

I've got a mate who knows about his 1.9 tdi so I'll have a word with him before starting a new post.

Thanks again.

If you've got a boost-leak on a Diseasel, they should be a build-up of condensed oil-mist in the immediate vicinity of the leak.

Fresh pair of gloves, then feel along as many of the pipes between the turbo/intercooler/EGR as you can, checking your hands for oil along the way.

If you've got a boost-leak on a Diseasel, they should be a build-up of condensed oil-mist in the immediate vicinity of the leak.

Fresh pair of gloves, then feel along as many of the pipes between the turbo/intercooler/EGR as you can, checking your hands for oil along the way.

Thanks, that seems like a pretty handy tip. As it happens there was a fair bit of oily build up underneath the connection at the EGR so hopefully that supports what I've been thinking. I'm going to get a new O-ring this afternoon and see if that helps. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Thanks, that seems like a pretty handy tip. As it happens there was a fair bit of oily build up underneath the connection at the EGR so hopefully that supports what I've been thinking. I'm going to get a new O-ring this afternoon and see if that helps. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Also, EGR valves have been known to leak from a ruptured diaphragm inside and cause the same problems as a split pipe. This is what happened to the Passat; ended up fitting an EGR delete kit and having it remapped, highly recommended mod!

On tuesday I went to get a new O-ring but the guy at TPS told me it would only be a temporary fix without a whole new pipe, so I caved in and bought one. After fitting it I was gutted to find that it made no difference and the leak was still there! The upside to this is that I've used the old pipe to make a leak tester, and I've established that there's definitely no leak at the connection between the pipe and inlet manifold/EGR.

I then clamped the tester on to the intercooler pumping air back towards the turbo and it wouldn't hold any pressure whatsoever so I assumed this meant there was a serious leak somewhere between the turbo and intercooler.

But one thing has just occurred to me: Is there any kind of valve at the turbo that would keep that section airtight? Or is the air I'm pumping back towards it just going straight through the turbo and out of the air filter?

I guess I should probably try the pump from the filter end instead...