Fabia VRS loud noise accelerating at low RPM

I wonder if I can ask about a new noise my VRS is making? As it's loud and worrying and we're currently in a remote part of Scotland a LONG way from a garage :)

It started last week when going down a hill, in 6th, thought we were going to pull into a layby so slowed right down. Saw it was closed off so without really thinking put my foot on the accelerator (still in 6th) and there was a loud screeching noise, sounded and felt mechanical, from under the car somewhere. I took my foot off the gas and changed down, the car was then fine.

A few days and a few hundred miles later, it made the sound again, and again I was going down a hill and had planted my foot on the gas at low RPM in 6th.

The car accelerates fine from standstill with no noise. Once moving and under acceleration, the power is still there fine (I can overtake etc). It gets up hills fine.

Since then I changed my driving to avoid too much acceleration at low RPM given that I also have a remap (and standard clutch etc), and avoid being lazy and using 6th on winding Scottish roads.

However yesterday and today it did it again, once on each trip, both times now in 3rd gear, again after decelerating and losing RPM then wanting to accelerate again.

So this seems to only happen under the extreme stress of lots of torque at low RPM.

In total, twice in 6th gear and twice in 3rd gear. Never heard anything like it ever before. It's a loud sound!

Any pointers for my friendly mechanic when I get home, and any re-assurance for me that I can still nurse the car around Scotland and then home? Is driving generally in higher RPM and avoiding accelerating too harshly a viable way to mitigate this for now or is this something that needs looked at urgently?

Searches here suggest possibly a slipping alternator belt? If so, what happens if this completely goes? Will the car still drive?

Slipping aux belt. Have you inspected it? I changed mine a month ago. It was nice and shiny on top. And it was showing cracks inbetween the grooves.

Its a drive belt. It runs and charges your battery and aircon.

• Like 1