Mr G 76's VRS TFSI

Mr G 76

I've been a member of this forum for a couple of years, but have been off and on here since 2003 when my brother ( Mr G ) got a Mk1 VRS, so I thought its about time I started a thread for my car!.

I bought the car in 2012 with 39K on the clock. the bodywork had a couple of minor marks but otherwise was very tidy and for a 2006 model it was really well spec'd, with Cruise, Jumbo Box, F+R parking sensors,Climatronic, Xenons, Maxidot, and 18" Zeniths.

VRS1_zpsfcpnpjbp.jpg

Unfortunately it developed a major missfire soon after purchase and neded the inlet manifold cleaning, a new PCV, and a new injector. Not a great welcome to Skoda motoring!

With normal service resumed, the first mod was changing the can bus gateway, to prevent the battery drain from the Bolero I was planning on buying. Luckily a Bolero came up on ebay from a Skoda dealer who had retrofitted a Kenwood unit into a cusomers car so I snapped that up for £125.

VRS2_zpscq2c2uhr.jpg

When the car went in for service i had the Cam follwer changed for piece of mind, at 43K, the old one showed only minor wear.

photo_zpsacc76b0c.jpg

Next was some OEM window shades which came up for sale on the forum, these are one of my favourite mods and give most of the advantages of tints, but still provide shade with the windows down.

VRS3_zpsfa9u33ho.jpg

New style badges were next on my shopping list along with a bonnet strut from the group buy on here.

VRS5_zpskiwgmikm.jpg

VRS6_zpsokthzxvk.jpg

At the beginning of this year I saw Magnex were clearing out their old stock on eBay, and picked up a resonated cat back exhaust for £300.

VRS7_zps9cvcdi2i.jpg

Then from eBay yet again I got a Ramair high flow over size induction Kit, which seems to have made the engine more eager to rev higher up the range.

VRS8_zpsib50avpn.jpg

The only problem with the induction kit is it leaves the rather ugly engine on show, so i got hold of an Audi TTS cover, stripped it down filled and smoothed the audi recess and added a bit of colour coding for good measure.

VRS9_zpsq5azqppr.jpg

Plans for the future include a PCV delete,and then if funds allow, a remap, or a Polar FIS+.

• Like 1

Cheers for the positive comments guys,

I forgot, it's also got an H&R rear anti roll bar, and Cupra Non voided console bushes, which together made a huge difference to the handling.

DSC_0138_zps7d32832c.jpg

What will this kit do?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

The front valve in the PCV isn't that reliable even on standard cars, and if it fails, as well as causing a loss of some boost, all the oil and water vapour that build up in the crankcase get blown into the inlet manifold, coating the inlet manifold flaps, inlet valves etc in a sticky residue, which cause poor running and potentially an expensive strip down and clean, mine needed this at only 39k miles.

The problem is exaggerated on remapped cars as the boost pressure is higher.

The kit blanks off the inlet part of the PCV, leaving the rear breather in place.

Had some time this evening, so fitted the PCV delete kit, all fitted easily except i wasnt happy with the seal on the inlet bung so found a more suitable gasket which provided a much better seal.

DSC_00782_zps520b1a2d.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work

I enquired about this kit, but the guys at rtech recommended a later revision PCV (Revision N) than a total delete

So I have the Revision N PCV :)

I am following you on another upgrade though... Im getting the engine cover, yours looks beaut!

• Like 1

Visited Shark HQ today for a Stage 1 Remap, and an updated diverter valve. Really happy with the results. Very smooth power delivery, and so much torque there's no need to ever leave 6th gear on the motorway.

1433882726576_zps54f98f95.jpg

• Like 1

Whilst at Shark, I got to have a good look under the car for the first time, and it reminded me of my first mod, an ECS alloy oil filter housing, that's got to be worth 10% across the Rev range ;-)

DSC_0135_zpscaa27ca0.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice motor, thanks for sharing as has given me some inspiration to follow a similar modding path.

Had uprated rear ARB, front strut brace and 35mm lowering springs on my last car and handling was fantastic. The VRS isn't bad as standard but I would like to sharpen it up a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small mod today, had the Pre Cat removed.

First impressions, the turbo spools up faster/lower, so pick up has improved. No difference in sound that I can hear, but i guess it may be more noticable on a std system.

I'll report back after a few weeks as to weather I get any improvement in MPG.

For a free/cheap mod im happy with the results, and it reduces Exhaust Gas Temps, so good for reliability, and hopefully support future mods.

• 11 months later...

It's been a slow year for mods,but hopefully getting back to it now! 

A month ago I found a MK6 Golf 'R' intercooler going for a steal eBay so snapped it up.At the same time I got a set of VRS Boost pipes to modify so I didn't have to modify mine,five minutes with a hacksaw and they were a perfect fit. The cooler has 4 more horizontal bars, and the core is 20% thicker than the original, and feels much more sturdy.The whole unit bolts straight into the original location with no modifications at all.

It has really made a difference when repeatedly driving it hard through the gears, performance doesnt drop off like it did previously.

DSC_0999_zps5ckktfo8.jpg

I've also had a Superpro engine mount insert fitted which has reduced engine movement, and has made the throttle response seem a bit sharper.

_20160616_134024_zps4gtkddkh.jpg

Next on the list is an uprated HPFP then next year an uprated clutch, performance downpipe and Stage 2 remap! 

• 8 months later...

Not much to report modding wise as my wallet's recovering from having the inlet timing chain and tensioner, and oil pickup pipe replaced.

An MOT failure for control arm bushes saw the original steel arms replaced with S3 alloy items, they only weigh 1.8kg less per side but every little helps! 

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

FB_IMG_1489520567742.jpg

Edited by Mr G 76

• 1 year later...

Finally got my wheels referbished and the winters off! It also now sits on new OEM dampers and Eibach -20mm springs, along with 20mm H&R spacers on the rear, IMO  just how it should have been from the factory.

20180417_114802.jpg

20180417_112429.jpg

3 hours ago, Mr G 76 said:

Finally got my wheels referbished and the winters off! It also now sits on new OEM dampers and Eibach -20mm springs, along with 20mm H&R spacers on the rear, IMO  just how it should have been from the factory.

20180417_114802.jpg

20180417_112429.jpg

What figures did the stage 1 re-map give? Guessing 250-260bhp!