EGR Judder - Have used search function.

Have had the Mk1 VRS for a couple of weeks now, and apart from the M5 incident, am loving it.

60mpg (according to the computer) on my 25 mile commute. Enough tug to get past most stuff that's dawdling. Feels nice and solid.

It's been Skoda main dealer serviced every 10k.

Only niggle I currently have is what i suspect to be EGR judder.

Any gear (but most noticable in 3rd/4th), if the revs are between 1600-2050 AND I go from coasting to super-gentle acceleration (ie following someone through town) then there's a slight hesitation. Feels almost like a mis-fire.

If the revs are outside this range, or I'm accelerating hard there's no judder. It's only when going from coasting to gentle acceleration.

The clutch feels fine, no slipping at all, and everything else seems solid.

From what I've read on here, that sounds lie the EGR valve being a whore.

From what I can tell Skoda issued a fix which was to replace the gasket from 23mm to 14mm. I've also read this doesn't necessarily help.

I've read some people went to 9mm, but this then caused the EML to come on after a few miles.

Or there's the full EGR delete.

Questions I have if any one has definitive (or experience backed suggestions) as there's seems too many threads to find anything conclusive:

1) EGR deletes - will need remapping to silence EML, and may lead to higher emmisions / MOT failure? Wanted to keep the car standard, so not too tempted by this.

2) Is it possible to get the 14mm gasket still - was having trouble finding one.

3) Might a good clean sort it out if it's not been done for a while?

4) Any other suggestions...

Really loving the car, but it's not nice to drive super-steadily at the moment. Would love to get to the bottom of it without handing it over to the local indie for them to spend hours changing unnecessary things.

Appreciate any input.

The smaller gasket is available from main dealers and tps or at least it was about a year ago a friend did his with a gasket and it stopped the judder personally I had egr delete but like you say needs mapping out if you don't intend to remap the car gasket sounds your best bet and it's only a few quid

• Like 1

Cheers fella. 

Na, no intentions of changing anything. Don't know why, but I get a sense of purity driving 100% standard cars. Every old school hot hatch I've owned has always been reverted back to standard if anything was modified.

Did the 14mm gasket cure your mates completely?

This is the 9mm gasket I assume?

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/fabia-egr-gasket---special-25863

Seems drilling that out to 11.5mm to avoid it bringing on the light after a month or two then fitting it seems to resolve?

After reading yet more threads, think I might have answered my own question.....

I've got the 9mm gasket.

If I drive economically then the engine light comes on. A little more enthusiastically and it turns itself off again.

Strange thing.

Cured my shudder though and that's the main thing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone else / anyone new is in any doubt, this resolved my issue (so far) completely.

Ordered the 9mm gasket. Drilled it out to 11.5mm as suggested. Armed with nothing more than an Alan key and a can of WD40 I even managed to change it myself. And being the mechanophobe I am, that's quite an achievement!

This difference is astonishing. The judder has completely gone, and it just feels smooth and lovely, like I imagine it always should have.

Thanks again Skoda internet people for the heads up. A £2.50 fix that I wouldn't have had a clue about otherwise!