Noise on deceleration

I have a mk1 VRS and when I decelerate there is an audible grinding noise. The best way to describe the sound is that of a piece of card stuck in a bicycle wheel spoke. The slightest touch of the accelerator and the noise goes. It also makes the noise as I change gears. Any suggestions?

Just read on another forum that this could be related to excess play in the wheel somewhere. It does seem to come more from N/S/F wheel so will check it tomorrow. Also the last MOT advisory said excess play in ball joints/cv joints etc etc... Does this seem right to people? By the way, i've just bought the car tonight, so still learning about its good and bad bits!!!

I have a similar kind of issue... if I leave acceleration padel and cluth while driving in 5th gear... I hear a sound as if 2 metal plates are grinding with each other... still looking for the solution...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk