Noisy handbrake

Hi

Why is mi handbrake so noisy when pulled when driving? 

To explain...I have noisy brakes from time to time. to describe the noise - intermitted scratching noise when braking almost as someone is scratching with metal brush from underneath. That sound comes from rear driver side brakes. 

Also when i pull the handbrake as much as i can that sound is terribly loud. I have a 1350 miles long journey in 2 weeks time and dont want that something will go wrong with mi brakes while on german motorway.

Can anyone help me please.

Brake shoes are good. I took the drums off and replaced all the springs and sound stopped until i have replaced the shockers and dropped the car quickly on the wheels from jack.

That scratchy sound is barely noticeable when i first use the brakes when driving and gets worst the more i use the brakes.

Don't apply the handbrake until the car has stopped moving? At least, the way I'm reading your OP, the noise only occurs when you use the HB rather than the FB, whilst the car is in motion.

Obviously i dont apply hand brake whilst driving. Only reason i have applied hand brake while car was moving was that i wanted to try if the noise that is there occurs when apply hand brake.

So when braking with foot brake it is intermitted and when pulled the hand brake very hard then it is constant.

But why that intermitted when it wasn't there in the past???

Thats what i have thought as a first thing, so i bought (before i actually checked the brake shoes) set of new brake shoes but when i took the drums off the brake shoes are same size (thickness) as the new one. I might replace them anyway just for peace in mind. 

Anyway, why is that "silly scratching" noise when everything is (seems to be) ok???

It makes me headache !!!!

Ok, we're heading into esoterica here; the stuff you never check first because it almost never happens.

If the drums have lipped at all, check for a broken off piece of lip, and if there's one of those, check the linings to see if it's got stuck in one of them. If it does, you've already got the new shoes?

Is either of the backplates distorted at all? If so, then it might rub on the drum when you brake.

SO checked the drums and there is a tiny lip on the edge but nothing broken inside the brakes. Anyway i have booked the car in local garage to have it checked as i need the car for friday ( picking parents on Luton airport) and as i am with mi daughter alone while wife is at work and the i am working afternoon dont have the time to look at it more deeply . Will update the findings from garage once i know them.