Strange rumble/drumming noise

Still none the wiser on my front end drumming/rumble noise. First garage (ture and exhaust centre type garage) had a look and said that there wasn't much play in the front wheels and he thought it was dual mass noise, so recommended new clutch and flywheel. Second garage came out for a drive with me and didn't think it was dual mass noise, he thought it could be gearbox or even wheel bearings etc as there was quite a bit of clunking from the nsf wheel! I'm confused now!

Have you checked inner and outer cv joints? By the way there isn't always play in the wheel when a bearing has gone. Mine were solid and the car sounded rough as bear's ****holes. Is it any different or worse under load/round corners/braking etc? Worse under load probably transmission or driveshaft related, worse round corners bearings, generally bad probably bearings too. Flywheel you'd probably get chattering, keep it in mind though. Transmission or driveshaft you may also get wheel balance type wobble which gets worse as you go faster.

By the way, clunking sounds like driveshaft, check your inner joints, will be a bit of play up and down for suspension, but if there's play front to back (which I've got n/s) that's not ideal.

DMF failure is usually most evident at idle in neutral, knocking & grinding sound that stops when the clutch is fulliy down. Sounds more like you have a wheel bearing, drive shaft or diff issue to me.

I've been told by two different mechanics now that it's the gearbox. So I've found a used one with a 3 month warranty for £300. A mechanic I know is fitting it for me for a decent price. So I'm not too depressed about it all at the moment. Thanks for all the suggestions though.