Safe to drive on?

Had to get out of the way of an ambulance quickly and just clipped a kerb.   On inspection i found this nick (less than the 25mm long that would be an MOT failure).  Its not very deep, perhaps 4mm.    So is it safe to drive?  

tyrenick_zps9wmnymcz.jpg

Apparently if all you can see is rubber it's judged to be safe. Seem worse cuts in worse places and people say they'd pass mot. I had a cut similar on my old car and never caused ant problems, didn't like it though...

Legal yes. Safe; I don't know how fast you drive, how hard you corner, or how often you need to make an emergency stop.

That's the thing there was a thread in tyres section recently as someone had taken a chunk out bigger than that and right next to the rim. I was told it would pass mot because you couldn't see any of the binding ply layers which I find frankly ludicrous to be honest. Personally I'd be looking to replace but in the OP case it wouldn't be at the top of my list, not far off though.

That's the thing there was a thread in tyres section recently as someone had taken a chunk out bigger than that and right next to the rim. I was told it would pass mot because you couldn't see any of the binding ply layers which I find frankly ludicrous to be honest. Personally I'd be looking to replace but in the OP case it wouldn't be at the top of my list, not far off though.

That's pretty much my point too. I'm a quick driver and can reckon on having to make a heavy stop from over 50mph most days, but if you're "driving miss Daisy" and always in town, never over 30mph you put your tyres through a lot less.