vRS Gear Change

HotVRs

It's not the best gearbox out there IMHO, but it's certainly one of the better ones I've 'used' recently. Mazda 323F in it's day was much better though...

Must admit that with 30k on the clocks I've not got any trouble any longer, if it misbehaves a tad it's usually my fault (too fast on the change for example, or too cold)

The only time I have a problem with 2nd is occasionally when I'm in a hurry and miss the shift up from first. It's as if the correct position is further 'back' than I'm expecting, so I let the clutch out before the gear's properly engaged. But that's no fault of the car...

I had problems with my gearbox from day one. I took it into Pilling in MK and had the gearbox oil changed. This did help, however I still have the crappest reverse gear. It takes quite a few attempts to get in the majority of the time, but sometimes will work fine. It tends to be every time I think of taking it to the dealers it stops doing it. 2nd gear is only a problem when cold for me, but I do have problems with 5th while driving I have to pull it out again and try to engage it a second time. I've had my car for just under 19k miles now and took it in at around 3k to get checked, so it doesn't seem like a problem that's going away any time soon. I never have any time to take it in to get checked as I need my car all the time so can't see it being resolved any time soon.

• 5 years later...

Got issues with 2nd and 4th on my 07 Octavia vRS.

4th is so bad that it jumps out of there at times, and is very hard to engage.

1st, 3rd and 5th all engage with a nice solid feel, I don't think any of the gears at the bottom of the box feel like they stick, if you know what I mean.

Not sure what to do to be honest, sounds like could be very expensive to sort it!

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Westy

Somethings not right there - they shouldn't stick or be hard to get into gear. Mine was stiff going into 2nd from 1st when I first bought it, moaned and kept going back to supplying dealer as per the advice from my local/normal Skoda dealer and continued until they changed the Master Cylinder, Slave Cylinder and Clutch. All was good afterwards :D