Fitting cruise control

It seems to be a popular topic on here but I can't find definitive answers. My questions are

1:What stalk do I need? There seem to be 2 different types available

2:I've seen stalks on eBay costing circa £20.

Link to stalk here-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321457913189

3: Do I need anything else other than vag com to get this stalk working or is it simply a case of plug in, code and drive?

4:is there anyone in South Wales who could help me do it or anyone who could do the whole job for me?

My car is an early mk2 octavia vrs TFSI (55 plate). It has the maxi dot display and mfd2 nav.

All help would be greatly appreciated as I'm taking the car around Germany and France in September and will NEED cruise control!

Many thanks in advance guys.

Hughski.

The stalk seems to be the right one, cant remember the part number of the one i got but looks identical, however i got mine of Eddie-NL on here so knew it would be worth it and its genuine VAG..

anyway, beside the point, you may find you need to run the wire to your controller as your car is 2005 so may not have the right revision of controller..

Best thing to do is get a scan of your car and list the controller version on here, then maybe PM eddie and ask him if you need the wire, he should be able to tell you.. apart from that its fairly easy to do, took me and a mate 90 mins to do mine

• Like 1

The stalk seems to be the right one, cant remember the part number of the one i got but looks identical, however i got mine of Eddie-NL on here so knew it would be worth it and its genuine VAG..

anyway, beside the point, you may find you need to run the wire to your controller as your car is 2005 so may not have the right revision of controller..

Best thing to do is get a scan of your car and list the controller version on here, then maybe PM eddie and ask him if you need the wire, he should be able to tell you.. apart from that its fairly easy to do, took me and a mate 90 mins to do mine

Thank you buddy. Il take your advice and get in contact with Eddie!

NO worries fella, Eddie may well get sick of the recommendations on here, but he is very knowledgeable with these cars and helpful too... if you cant get hold of him ping me again and ill try and help ya

Just found the old messages I had from Eddie on here when I fitted Cruise to my 07 VRS.. details for VCDS as follows

Not for cruise, only 638 doesn't support cruise

Address 16: Steering wheel        Labels: 1K0-953-549-MY8.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 953 549 BC    HW: 1K0 953 549 BC
   Component: J0527           638 0070 
   Coding: 0000012
   Shop #: WSC 00153 210 84930
   VCID: 74E3DA046E3D

No fault code found.

Ok for Cruise

Address 16: Steering wheel        Labels: 1K0-953-549-MY8.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 953 549 BC    HW: 1K0 953 549 BC
   Component: Lenksäulenmodul 035 0070 
   Coding: 0000042
   Shop #: WSC 00152 210 91233
   VCID: 74E3DA046E20

No fault code found.

Nothing else required apart from coding it

This was what my car had when i scanned it

Address 16: Steering wheel        Labels: 1K0-953-549-MY8.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 953 549 BC    HW: 1K0 953 549 BC
   Component: Lenksäulenmodul 035 0070  
   Coding: 0000012
   Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000
   VCID: 74ECC0546E3D

Link to Eddies Ebay page where he currently appears to have another stalk for sale (and at least its genuine)