Shelf speaker size

Could someone please confirm that these speakers would replace the rear shelf speakers in my vrs......http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/131/201/TS-1002i/page.html

If not could you please link me to some that will fit there.

Does anyone know how easy/hard these are too replace?

Thanks in advance!!!

Holdee horsies.... keemosabay :)

Best to think of the factory fitted rear speakers as unwanted weight IMO. If you absolutely must, pay as little as possible for them. A teeny "4" is not going to shake anyone's world.

Get a sub or beef up the front setup.

J.

• Like 1

Sweet might purchase some of these look well priced, is it a straight swap and any tips in the replacement?

I'm glad you mentioned the front as I really want to swap mine but not 100% confident in how to secure them due to the rivets, would you say it's difficult?

No it's not difficult you just need to buy some mdf spacers or plastic adapters, you fix the spacers to the door then the speakers to the spacers.

Listen to vindaloo and just buy the best quality front speakers you can and if you want to get the most from them you'll need to amplify them. If you do that the rear speakers will become redundant as they will never make anywhere near the sound volume that the fronts will, they'll just distort and mess up your sound.

Maybe also invest in some sound deadening material.

No it's not difficult you just need to buy some mdf spacers or plastic adapters, you fix the spacers to the door then the speakers to the spacers.

Listen to vindaloo and just buy the best quality front speakers you can and if you want to get the most from them you'll need to amplify them. If you do that the rear speakers will become redundant as they will never make anywhere near the sound volume that the fronts will, they'll just distort and mess up your sound.

Maybe also invest in some sound deadening material.

Ok I take your point, thank you for persisting with the statement! It was only that the rear shelf speakers look fairly easy to replace and I have one blown....I really want to do the front ones but I have no experience of fitting speakers, the amp is especially a mind bobberler for me, where would I put the amp and does the stereo run to the amp then the front speakers?

I have also heard about the tweeter crossover, is this something quite difficult?

Please bare with me and have the patience to reply, obviously I want to make a good job of this!

I'll explain it in a bit more detail later chap we're not trying to have a dig we're only trying to help you.

None of us knew what we were doing at first so there's nothing wrong with that but by doing it yourself you have a chance to learn along the way.

The best I can recommend for now is to head over to this Forum http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index.php?app=forums There's a lot of very useful information and plenty there that will boggle all of our minds, it's important to at least know what you want from your setup and how much your willing to spend.

Where abouts are you located by the way?

I'm not going to tell what to do or necessarily how to do it but i'll just try to explain how and what I did.

For me the factory head unit wasn't going to cut it from the off I had planned to run it all through an iPod, I can't be bothered with Cd's as they take up too much space and I've pretty much lost or ruined my whole collection over the years. So I knew I needed a headunit that would accept an iPod, give me enough settings to tweek and wouldn't cost the Earth so I settled for this  http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-ide-178bt

Once I had the headunit the rest was just a matter of deciding how far I wanted to go and how much I wanted to spend without breaking the bank or having to buy again because I wasn't happy with what I had. I read lots of post's and reviews and kept going back and forth on ebay and other online retailers.

I picked some Morel Tempo 6 Component speakers second hand but new in it's box. Component just meaning a woofer and a tweeter with a crossover box filtering the relevant frequency's to the right speaker, high's to the tweeter,  low's and mids to the woofer. One thing you'll need to be aware of is the speaker depth as their is a metal bar that runs in behind the speaker, too deep a speaker and it will hit but you can space that out using MDF rings to compensate a bit but not too much or you won't fit the door card back on.

I'll show you a pic of mine to show you as it'll make more sense when you see what needs to be done.

IMG_0091_zpsaxrlrkyw.jpg

In the pic you'll see the door underneath the door card sorry but I never took picture of the setup before I swapped them I just ripped straight into it. I brought 2x MDF spacers for each door and I was lucky more than anything that it all fitted, If my speakers were any deeper they wouldn't of fitted so all was good for me.

The old ones are just riveted on so you'll need to drill them out so that the speaker with it's all in one adapter can be removed, then you are just left with a hole in the door.

Next I took the first MDF spacer and offered it up to the door to see how it was going to fit, it won't fit snugg in the hole that is their because the panel is not flat it kind of bulges out around the original hole, so I just decided to fit it in the position I was most happy with. To do that I marked the position of my screw holes and pilot drilled them, then attached the spacer with some decent screws. Once that was in place I screwed the other MDF spacer to that then the speaker screwed into that.

Here's a closer pic so you can see whats going on.

A7F10DEA-CBAF-4421-A50A-02D5A01FBE75_zps

I can go into a bit of detail about the Amp if you want but for the minute I'll leave it there. You can buy Plastic Adapter to fit your speaker to and that will be the easier option but if you want better sound quality then MDF is the way to go that's completely up to you though.

Thank you so much for going to all that effort to explain that to me! It is very appreciated, just a quick question.....Do I just screw the first spacer straight in to the door? Maybe the original holes from the OEM speaker? I would have thought to stick them to the door to avoid damage?

Thanks again!

Just to add a quick question do you need the crossover for component speakers to work

Definitely.... Though to be accurate, some cheaper component sets just offer a filter in line in the tweeter wiring to protect it. And the woofer on its own will just "work", but it won't bring much treble to the party.

Just to add a quick question do you need the crossover for component speakers to work

As vindaloo say's you do to a certain extent but it depends how you go about it.

You can wire them up passively which is how mine are wired up which basically involves a cross over box which filters the relevant frequency's the box is then fed directly from your amp of choice be it a headunit or dedicated amplifier. Or as vindaloo say's some of the cheaper ones have an inline cross over which is basically just resistors it works but is a basic crude way to go about it.

Or you can go for an active setup which will run a dedicated channel each from a external amp, one signal for each speaker doing away with the cross over box, you would then use the amps built in crossover and filter circuits. It's a better way to do it and you'll have more control but will be harder to setup if you don't know what your doing.

Passive is easier active gives you a better more customisable sound.

Thank you so much for going to all that effort to explain that to me! It is very appreciated, just a quick question.....Do I just screw the first spacer straight in to the door? Maybe the original holes from the OEM speaker? I would have thought to stick them to the door to avoid damage?

Thanks again!

Your welcome.

I doubt you'll be ale to pick up the original holes but to honest I can't quite remember, I just positioned it where I wanted it and drilled straight through the pre-drilled holes that were already in the spacer. You can stick them to the door if that's what you want to do but most people fix them with screws or bolts as that is the stronger safer option. I seriously wouldn't worry about damaging the metal door skin your only going to be pilot drilling them with a 2-3mm drill bit depending on what size screws or bolts you use.

It's completely up to you really as their is no right or wrong way to do it although some techniques are better than others.

One thing I will say is what ever you do you want make sure that you have a nice solid base to fix your speaker to as that will effect the sound reproduction of your speakers massively, you can have the best sounding most expensive speakers in the world but if they are not installed very well they will sound pants.

Cheers for that I will be getting on it soon then, can't wait to get some good sound coming from the front!

Is the amp worth getting for the hassle of fitting etc. or try and get a head unit that is pre-amped? 

Cheers for that I will be getting on it soon then, can't wait to get some good sound coming from the front!

Is the amp worth getting for the hassle of fitting etc. or try and get a head unit that is pre-amped? 

You can run it through a head unit amp if you like and it will sound better than the standard setup but to get the most from them, a external amp will be able to provide them with a much higher, cleaner power source with less chance of distortion at higher volume levels.

It's completely up to you chap it may be worth you stating with a simple setup then adding an amp and sub when you feel the need to and trust me you will. I can't really recommend which brands of speakers and such to go for as I only have a very limited knowledge and experience myself, just try not to cut corners if you can.

It's a shame you don't live a bit closer to me as you could've had a listen and a nose at mine.