1.9 TDI Torsion Value / Synchro Angle (Timing)

gfwc

Hey everyone, 

Ive got a terrible starting issue, and a slightly lumpy idle, plus some smoke. 

I checked the timing today to see what the torsion value was and did a log. 

Obviosuly i want to get the timing as close to 0.0 as possible, but wondered if it was normal for the value to fluctuate. 

Mine does so between 0.8 1.1 1.4 

Ive attached a pic of the data log which has the torsion value on it, also the smooth idle injection data. 

Is that normal? 

post-103647-0-51291200-1435246388_thumb.png

All sounds good.

Did you check the guide I put for adjusting the injector, I noticed you said you did it differently in another post so might be worth rechecking.

I'm pretty sure we did it the same way :) i did indeed look at your guide, which is pretty much the same as the one I found online when I adjusted them a few months back. Glad there's one on brisky now though for everyone to use

Good to hear.

See how she starts in the morning when it's cold now you've adjusted the timing :)

Sometimes it would start fine, other times if you didn't keep the starter turning over for long enough, the engine would seem like it's running on 1 or 2 cylinders and you'd have to switch it off quick before doing any serious damage.

I certainly hope it'll be back to its former starting glory :)

Before, it was as though it was up and running before I'd even finished turning the key... Just BOOM... Running. :D

Unfortunately, it still starts like poop :(

I wonder if the crankshaft position sensor could play a part?

It was never like this before I changed my turbo.

Could be, sensors are usually worse when warm.

Live data could show a fault with the sensor if you have access.

It does it when warm too.

I can do live data, which block should I measure in VCDS?

What mileage ?

DB

But injectors could be 200+ I don't know.

It was perfect right up until I changed the turbo and adjusted the clearances on the injectors, so I'm guessing it could be the starting SOI maybe.

But it's really annoying.

My 1.4 TDI 80BHP engine at 95,000 miles had a head re-build and it ran badly afterwards. When I looked into the Injector Lash (IL) info, it clearly stated to replace both the Adjuster Screws and the Adjuster Pins, to do this it needed the Rocker Arm Bolts replacing too.

After installing them and re-setting the IL, then re-setting the Torsion Value to 00:00, re-setting the ECU it now runs like a dream with it's near original MPG and torque.

DB.

My 1.4 TDI 80BHP engine at 95,000 miles had a head re-build and it ran badly afterwards. When I looked into the Injector Lash (IL) info, it clearly stated to replace both the Adjuster Screws and the Adjuster Pins, to do this it needed the Rocker Arm Bolts replacing too.

After installing them and re-setting the IL, then re-setting the Torsion Value to 00:00, re-setting the ECU it now runs like a dream with it's near original MPG and torque.

DB.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Where did you get the parts from? Skoda/VW?

Estimated cost for the parts?

:)

Skoda Parts - It's imperative to get genuine, however the cost for 3 Adjusters, 3 Pins, 6 Bolts came to about £130.00 !!

Are you positive you set the Injector Lash correctly, I found it very confusing as did others.

Send me your Email address in a PM and I will forward you the Genuine PDF.

DB.