skoda octavia diesel servicing how to

hi peeps im new to this site and have a 1.6 tdi 2013 octavia. I wouldlike to start doing basic servicing myself and can see the fuel/air filter myself so no issues there but wondered where the oil filter was . If anyone has this type of car would you possibly be able to post some pics of the oil filter and how to remove it please perhaps when/if you do your own servicing. Also I have noticed the coolant is a brown/near black colour which does not look good and wondered if anyone has changed it themselves / drianed it themselves and if so again if any pics could be posted? any info much appreciated ,but other than that im very happy with it and how it runs!

Welcome to the forum amarinko!  And good for you for tackling servicing yourself, you learn a lot about what's good and what's not for the car.

Sorry I can't help with the oil filter on the 1.6 (got a 1.9 PD myself), but the coolant should be clear and a red/pink colour if the VAG recommended additive has been used. 

• Like 1

Sounds like the head gasket may be gone if the coolant is that colour? (brown, near black) Is it oily in nature and/or smelling of exhaust fumes?

I think I'd be wanting to get to the bottom of that one before bothering about servicing.

Julian

Edited by JulianS
  • Like 1

hi thanks for the speedy replies  the coolant is oily and brown /black coloured but still under warranty so i will ask them to take a look at it at skoda tomorrow  .the exhaust fumes are nt black though or smelly ... will see what they say tomorrow as i have it booked it for a couple if other minor issues, cig lighter sockets not working and rear wash not working either !

Oil filter on the 1.6CR is at the front of the engine, hiding under something (with flexi hoses - so it can be moved to one side), iirc.  If you are doing long life servicing you will need VDCS, etc to reset the service interval correctly.

• Like 1

hi

thanks very much for the advice much appreciated ... the car has only done 36000 so not much really , its booked in this morning so i will def bring these things up at skoda . i will def ta   ke you up on the vcds when i change the parts thank-you...to be honest the coolant does not smell of exhaust fumes its simply a very brown oily coloured liquid. if you looked at the coolant in the tank it looks very very dark . I put al ittle tissue into it and removed some of the contents which on the tissue comes out clear- the tissue was not stained but the liquid is brown/oily.very odd...see what skoda in york do with it all today but i will mention the things brought up here in the forum. i only bought the car at the start of this month .ps could you please elaborate on vcds and is there a way i could do this myself?thanks again