1.8 tsi problem

It's a 2008 1.8 tsi Octavia. Never had an issue with it previously. Only 46k miles. Driving home last night I noticed that I was down on power. It didn't seem too different around country lanes at 20-30 mph but had been a bit difficult to start, which is unusual. When I eventually got to a straight bit of road I tried to accelerate and nothing happened!

Bach home I was playing around and noticed the rev limiter was cutting in at 3000 revs (exactly). Then a warning light came on (exhaust management) and has stayed on. It idles fine, and no smoke or excessive consumption of anything.

I have lost my usual mechanic (retired) so unless I can find him at home will be trying someone new, and using the Mii in the meantime. Any ideas/questions on what's going on here?

Sounds like it's gone into a limp mode.

Without running a scan it's impossible to say what it is - most likely a sensor has gone. Mine showed similar symptoms when the crank speed sensor went and another time when it was the MAF sensor.

A garage will charge you just to read the code so unless you're desperate to get it fixed quickly get yourself a fault code scanner (a £10-20 job from ebay will do fine for reading codes). If nothing else it will give you some foreknowledge when you do take it to the garage - just remember not to reset the fault light if you're taking it to the garage as it will clear the code and they'll not be able to read it themselves!

In the case of the MAF on mine it was a very easy DIY change so saved myself garage labour charges, on the other hand the crank speed sensor is quite difficult to get at so the garage did that one.

Edited by Cznski

Mine did similar very early in the ownership experience.  It was a high pressure fuel pump regulator which required replacement of the whole pump.

In reality, until you read the codes it could be a dozen different issues

Thanks for the replies. At least you're saying it could be a variety of things so no need to panic yet.

I have a friend who says he might be able to read the code so I'll get him around to have a go.

It is booked into a garage that I know and trust next week.