help on mk1 octavia handling

jimbo82

Hi everyone

im new to forum as just bought my first mk1 octavia vrs estate. Im after some guidence if anyone can help. The car has been tuned up to nearly 300bhp but is on standard suspension. I would like better handling however it needs to be a comfortable ride for the family and have read that arb are a must have and I was hoping to do this on a budget. Is my under standing correct that the mk4 R32 front arb fits the octavia estate at front and if so which arb would work well with this one for rear. A friend advised me the balance of the arbs are important.

I was advised avoid coilovers as ride too hard but maybe worth changing shocks and springs to better after market set? Would you do anything else to improve handling? The car has 120k on it and has a good bit of roll in corners.

Thanks james

Hi James I've just bought a mk1 and my suspension was original with 120'000 on them and they were soft and pretty much dangerous . I fitted some koni strt shocks with h and r springs all round . It has practically transformed the car . It's so much better . Cost £380 quid for the full set and took me 3 hrs to fit .

Cheers guys, if I went for koni shocks and h + r springs can you still fit arb's front and rear with not too much difficulty? Would you do both suspension and arb's? Or just suspension to start with?

Im going to have to hold out a little while as I need the car rolling roaded very soon to ensure engine is all good with its mods as car is a new purchase and dont want any suprises.im sure that will cost., appreciate the advice. Sounds quite reasonable for suspension compared to what ive seen so far.