gear box selection problem

Well cheep tow cars at it again . I've lost 5th gear then 3-4th did the reset steps still no 5th there seems to be a lot of side movement in the selector rod that gos in the top of the gearbox .can this be removed and replaced without major box work? Thanks jim

Well I've pulled out the shift linkage in the top of the box and striped it ,and it looks like there's a bearing inside that's collapsed . I think as the linkage lifts the selector to go to 5th its hitting the bits if collapsed bearing and locking out.. Its badly scored inside so a new mechanism might be in order or second hand if I can find a scrappy to sell me one and not a full box .

Jim

Job done . Once I got the remnants of the bearing out of the houseing the new one pressed straight in along with the new seal and rubber ring . Changed gear oil wile I was on . And I've got a silky smooth change again , I need a beer

Jim

How did you get the old cage out?, a socket, some studding and a washer or did you have a special tool?.

How easy is it to extract from the box with it in situ?. Are there any nasties to beware of?.

Sorry for all the questions, but mine has had a fair amount of side play in 3rd and 4th on my 5 speed unit for about 4 weeks now, so this is looking like a job on the horizon.

Make sure its in neutral . You have to remove battery, air box ,battery tray and I found I had to take the starter out to get in to gently lever the shift mech out the box (its got some good sealant on it ) try to just lift it straight up once its free . Best way I found was to remove the seal in the top and drill two small holes in the lip so I could use a small drift to drive the case out . I first tryed cutting it then useing a die grinder to thin it but its strong stuff ,the new one just pressed straight in .I also drained the oil and wile the mech was out put the new oil in the large hole its much easier . follow the gear linkage set up on youtube ( its on briskoda somewhere) then when your done let car idle for a couple of mins to get the oil right round the box before you drive off

Jim