Scout wheel size - offset

I've been contemplating the options for a set of alloys and winter tyres for my '08 Scout TDI PD. As there's a possibility that I may have to use snow chains in extreme conditions up here in the hills, I'm going for 16"x6.0J 5x112 57.1. 

I've narrowed the possibilities down to a make which offers an offset of either 45 or 50. I've seen various suggestions for the correct offset for the model I own, i.e. 45, 47, 48 and 50. I understand that a margin of 5mm is acceptable.

Does anyone have a view on whether I should go for the 45 or 50 offset?

I'd go ET50 as this is factory standard and is the spec from the OEM Proteus alloy.

It might also depend on which chains you are planning to buy, sometimes a different offset helps with clearance around the strut at the extremes of suspension travel and full lock.

• Like 1

I'd go ET50 as this is factory standard and is the spec from the OEM Proteus alloy.

It might also depend on which chains you are planning to buy, sometimes a different offset helps with clearance around the strut at the extremes of suspension travel and full lock.

Thanks, I was leaning in that direction and like your reasoning.

I'm thinking of getting the Thule CG-9 090 snow chains.

I'd go ET45 for the extra clearance around the strut & so that the car doesn't look "under-wheeled" and fall over in turns.  Either will work though.

I assume you are using 205/60r16 tyres?

I'd go ET45 for the extra clearance around the strut & so that the car doesn't look "under-wheeled" and fall over in turns.  Either will work though.

I assume you are using 205/60r16 tyres?

I've gone for 205/55 R16s. And I'm thinking of getting Weissenfels Quattro M90 F30 snow chains. 

I've never used snow chains but my understanding is that they should be applied all round on a 4x4. However, the owner's manual states in bold type that "snow chains must only be mounted on the front wheels".

Does anyone know of any good reason why snow chains should not be used on all 4 wheels on a Scout? 

I've scoured the winter tyres threads and haven't found a definitive answer to whether 1 pair or 2 pairs of snow chains should be used, so I'll mark this as solved and post a new question. 

I've gone for 205/55 R16s. And I'm thinking of getting Weissenfels Quattro M90 F30 snow chains. 

I've never used snow chains but my understanding is that they should be applied all round on a 4x4. However, the owner's manual states in bold type that "snow chains must only be mounted on the front wheels".

Does anyone know of any good reason why snow chains should not be used on all 4 wheels on a Scout? 

On a Scout 205/55r16 is too small.  You'll be loosing ground clearance and your speedometer will read about 10% wrong.