Octavia 1.6 Hot starting problem

DSUK

Hi there to all, I'm a newbee to both Skoda and this forum. I have a 1.6 (55 kW) single cam Octavia 1.6 Lx 1999 year. It starts fine from cold, but once hot if I stop the engine for a short period of time (i.e, filling with petrol) and then try to restart sometimes the engine will fire briefly and then stall. It wont restart untill it has been cranked over for about 3 bursts of 20 seconds . Once it does start is is very rough for about 30 seconds until it has "cleared its throat" It is often accompanied by a smell of fuel and the RPM on idle increases as if the choke is on again. This has led me to think that the sensor that tells the engine management to enrich the mixture when cold is also sending a dodgy signal when hot perhaps? Is it a water temperature sensor and if so where is it located, or what else could it be? The car has a full service history, seviced last about 4000 miles ago, and the only other thing of note is that the Lambda sensor was changed about 5 months ago due to "starting problems" and an error code logged by the ECU. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. (By the way the 55kw engine is not that sluggish and I am getting about 46MPG on a run)

• 5 months later...

Yes, got a new one from Euro Car Parts and the problem was solved once the coolant sensor was swapped. Took me about 10minutes to work out that you have to remove the U shaped clip first before it will slide out though!! One tip is to do it when the engine is cold as you do loose a little coolant through the sensor hole when it is removed and is could give you quite a nasty scald (end of health and safety lecture)