Amundsen SD card slot(s) and screen

Hi all

Placed an order for a MK3 Fabia SE L on Saturday and made a bit of a last-minute decision to get the Amundsen sat nav given there still doesn't seem to be much info around on how well the Android Auto stuff works. Just had a couple of quick questions for anyone with an Amundsen.

Firstly does it come with an additional SD card slot to allow you to play music? Or if it's a single slot can play MP3s while using the sat nav?

Also has the screen size been confirmed as 6.5" like the Bolero? I noticed the configurator on the website says 5.8" and the other thread on this doesn't really answer this definitively.

Thanks

The screen size is 6.5 not 5.8 and there's an SD card slot in the glovebox to play your MP3s where they will play whilst using the satnav or they did in my previous Monte Tech fitted with the older version Amundsen+.

Thanks for posting that. The Amundesn / Bolero manual seems to contradict it though saying that the Amundsen in the Fabia only has one SD slot. Neither say whether you can also use it as a media source while using the sat nav. The manual also says you need to use the 'original' SD card card which might prevent me buying a larger one for music anyway.

I used to have a stereo in my Mk1 Octy that had SD and USB inputs, along with the Android Auto stuff these were things it was really great to see on the new Fabia. My dealer is trying to find a car with an Amundsen fitted to get a definitive answer. But right now a Bolero is sounding like a safer bet!

Received ours on Tuesday and there seems to be confusion in the manual and on certain web pages.

The chap at the showroom contacted Skoda technical, who seemed to expect SD card slots on the front of the device above the touchscreen, which there aren't. Seems to be that the Superb has two slots, but mounted differently (at front/top of glove box rather than to the side). He's chasing further and I'll post here if anything comes of it.

The display screen shows SD1 and SD2 as possible input sources (along with USB, Aux and BlueTooth), but I suspect they have only implemented one of the slots physically in the glove box on the Fabia, which seems a bit of a cheap thing to do, really - maybe they don't expect many to have the Fabia with sat nav?

With the Navigation SD in place there seems to be no other SD slot that I or the salesman can find, though there is the USB socket at the front. It needs the SD card in place to operate the sat nav (doesn't copy the data to internal storage).

I haven't tried it yet, but it says you can add music to the navigation SD card - I haven't checked its capacity and free space.

I'm planning on a stubby high-capacity USB stick instead (shame, as I'd already bought and filled a nice big SD card, hey ho).

My new Fabia SE L turns out to be a week 20 build, so no Appley bits and frankly, I'm not that bothered as I'm old school and don't, yet, have a Smartphone anyway. With regard to the satnav, rather than going to war with Skoda et al I have decided to buy a Garmin Nuvicam satnav. Top of the range and not cheap but can be moved to other vehicles and has free map updates for life.....plus, it has a dash cam built in with all the functionality that implies. I'm going to mount it on Garmin's universal friction mount, (weighted grippy mat), on top of the dash so that it can all be stowed out of sight when the car is parked...no tell-tale marks or fixed mounts to alert would-be scrotes.

Not as clean a solution as the Amundsen or Kenwood but more functionality and portability, so I'm calling that a result.

• 1 month later...

Can anybody confirm the max SD card storage size that the standard Bolero radio will accept?

I have plenty of SD size adapters, so I'm going to buy a microSD card, I just don't want to buy one that's too big!

Cheers

Can anybody confirm the max SD card storage size that the standard Bolero radio will accept?

I have plenty of SD size adapters, so I'm going to buy a microSD card, I just don't want to buy one that's too big!

Cheers

The Swing radio (a cut-down Bolero) in mine takes a 32gb card no probs - and on Octavia forum have seen various references to 64Gb and even one 128gb sd on Boleros. 

• Like 1

The Swing radio (a cut-down Bolero) in mine takes a 32gb card no probs - and on Octavia forum have seen various references to 64Gb and even one 128gb sd on Boleros.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Moto G

• Like 1