Radio Antenna

lulzyboy

Hi again,

My Octavias antenna amplifier has burnt out and was providing staticy FM signal everywhere. I replaced it with a fully working one I had on a spare Fabia however that has only slightly improved the radio reception. The static is there, just less. Would I be better getting a none amplified aftermarket one or should I consider buying an orignal skoda part? I've swapped the radio out with an aftermarket radio anyway but I tried the stock one with the new antenna and its performance was exactly the same.

The aerial amplifier is in the base not the aerial it's self

I know. It seems water got in to the base and shorted out the circuit board as it was black with burning marks. 

As this is a very common problem, are you sure the Fabia one was not goosed too?.

Have you put an aerial signal injector in to the loom as you have swooped out the head unit?, the standard unit supplies amp power down the aerial wire which an aftermarket head unit cannot do.

The fabia one worked in the fabia with both the original radio and the same radio that I now have in the Octavia. I've tried the standard unit and it gives me the same reception results.

As I know it's a common problem that was why I was assuming maybe it's easier to get a none amplified one but I don't know how much of a difference it makes for reception.

Edited by lulzyboy

No, I've tried an amp like that and all it did was put more static into the signal.

Then before you do too much more, I would get hold of a multimeter, drop down the back of the headlining and drop out the head unit, then with the aerial cable released from the base, use a length of wire to extend the probes connect one end to the loop for the aerial base on the aerial cable and the other probe to the centre aerial pin. Set the meter to resistance and measure what reading the cable itself produces.

While I was in the area, I would make sure the base is producing a good earth to the body through the mounting nut, as paint and corrosion protection can be surprisingly good at creating a poor earth point.

Lastly, where are you picking up the power feed for the blue cable on the signal injector on your car?, some head units do not supply a constant 12v supply to the aerial cable in their loom as they think they are running an electric aerial motor for 30 secs then shut down, so you may need to switch to an accessory live feed for stable voltage.

Also, having thought about it, while you have a meter in hand and the headlining down, you could also check once you refit the cable to the headunit and base, that your signal injector is actually injecting 12v down the cable to the base end, if you aren't getting 12v, that could well be your problem.

I purchased a new antenna (amplified) and brand new cabling then ran it though the car. Reception is exactly the same and between 96-99mhz I get random stations overlapping each other like theyre fighting for the frequency. The only thing I can put this down to now is electrical interferance but I can't find any...