ADVICE ON BUYING A SKODA OCTAVIA FL VRS CR DIESEL

kiko1

Ive never read such nonsense

Its been the best 5 years of car ownership Ive ever had

Skoda Octavia vRS CR170 DSG....Brilliant in ALL areas

Ignore the Petrol brigade

Lol

The diesel is a great car but in no way, except economy, is it better than the petrol. If the economy wasn't better with Diesel engines they wouldn't exist.

The petrol is faster, sounds better, revvier and more flexible. Diesel compromises all those elements to achieve a few more miles per gallon. Why would you ignore petrol? Or are you saying to ignore the posters daring to suggest that petrol might be a better option? Sounds a lot like trolling :p

Saying rubbish like the post above helps no one - one choice isn't right for every person, you need to understand the pros and cons of each and make a decision accordingly. If you save enough money to make the diesel worthwhile then it's worth considering.

If you do low mileage but still think the diesel is a better car then you're simple delusional :)

I've owned plenty cars - I've had diesels when I've been doing lots of miles and had plenty petrols too so I'm far from anti diesel, but really if you're covincing yourself that the diesel car is superior in any way except doing a few more mpg then chances are you've not driven the petrol.

People also simply struggle to do the simple maths of economy. You can easily work out the fuel saving and make a decision of its appropriate for you. With low miles you're unlikely to even break even in the course of ownership... Spending a grand more on the car to save 20 quid a month isn't a smart financial decision.

If you're trying to make your mind up then don't ignore anyone (except possibly trolls) - understand the facts and buy whichever suits your needs best :)

Edited by iaind1
  • Like 2

^

What a fantastic post that is. Why should he ignore relevant posts just because it's petrol. Granted mine is a PD and the op is looking at a CR but believe me these will still have issues with dpf's if the car does lots of short journeys. I bought a diesel simply to try one day to day despite knowing about related issues. I figured only bad news gets posted on forums so maybe they won't be too bad in reality. I was wrong! The dpf has spoiled the ownership and the car has needed a couple of sensors already. And mpg isn't great either averaging 45mpg. I test drove a Seat Leon FR tfsi back to back with mine a few days ago and like mentioned above the engine is a lot smoother and refined. Ok it doesn't give that low rev shove in the back like the diesel but sounds lovely and feels a fair bit quicker and my diesel is mapped. It is more flexible and pulls harder higher in the rev range. Of course, if i was sitting on motorways all day then it's no contest as the diesel is lovely on long cruises. I'm afraid to say it but they're ruining these diesels just by loading them with sensors and complicated dpf's. And now this carry on with VW fitting cheating devices.

Yes. I got put of diesels when I had a mk5 golf gt tdi 170....my previous car. Had numerous dpf issues and finally got rid at a very low price. That's why my search took me to buy a Skoda Octavia vrs tfsi. Basically a Golf GTI for a very decent price!! Now I'm looking to buy a fl vrs.