Wierd firing when hot issue

Clean the tb before you recalibrate it with vcds, don't reset to basic settings on a dirty one as that wouldn't solve anything. Definitely worth trying that though. Probably more likely that than a plug issue but check connections also.

Ok I'll have a chat with the mechanic in the morning about a clean and recalibration.

Yes it is very possible the butterfly has been opened while the car has had electrical power, not by me but by one of the 3 mechanics that have seen this car since I've had it. The first mechanic said he had cleaned the throttle body in situe but didn't state whether or not he man handled it.

Thanks very much guys! I'll keep you informed.

Had a little chat with the machanic and the vcds guy. The maf wasn't recalibrated as previously thought. It was the throttle body itself that was recalibrated. This was misconstrued by the mechanic.

This is now starting to make sense. It's obviously the throttle body at fault here but which part of it and why..

The vcds guy has it booked for tomorrow as he is mad busy and he's the only member of staff so when i get something back I'll report here. At the moment it will rev fine, runs smooth but is hunting like mad. The "no rev mode" has cleared of its own accord. CEL is on. EPC is on. Electrical?.

Thanks again!.

Edited by shivadow

EPC points towards something with the fly by wire pedal system, a scan relating to why cel has come on should give you something else to go on unless it's come on for a separate issue...I'd be wondering what they did to the throttle body when they 'recalibrated' it last time. It's not exactly a complicated process, just find the right measuring block and basic settings it, takes about 1 minute. There could be a fault with it although I don't think they're exactly common

It would be very helpful if your VCDS chap could save a copy of the scan and either give it to you or email it to you, it would give us a bit more of a feel for what is going on to be able to constructively assist you

To cut a long story short. It's not healthy and it now must be sold. Throttlebody and ecu needed.

Anyone interested in the whole car for 500 quid?. Skoda mk1 Octavia 4x4 1.8t 20valve.

New brake discs and pads all round, about 1000 miles on them. New tyres, black alloys with spare (silver). Bodywork silver/blue, is in great condition but it will need a new engine. It drives but the fault WILL return. Haldex gen1 fully operational. Would make a great project car.

Such a shame to get rid.. Will advertise soon in classifieds if no-one is interested..

To cut a long story short. It's not healthy and it now must be sold. Throttlebody and ecu needed.

Anyone interested in the whole car for 500 quid? I will consider offers. Skoda mk1 Octavia 4x4 1.8t 20valve. O2 plate. Buyer collects from Liverpool South.

New brake discs and pads all round, about 1000 miles on them. New tyres, black alloys with spare (silver). Bodywork silver/blue, is in great condition but it will need a new engine. It drives but the fault WILL return. Haldex gen1 fully operational. Would make a great project car.

Such a shame to get rid.. Will advertise soon in classifieds if no-one is interested..

Usually bits available as the TB and ECU are same as the vrs and a million other 1.8T's so you don't need 4x4 specifically. Don't be put off as a TB and ECU shouldn't set you back much.

Interesting in saying that however having already attempted many scrap yards and breaker companies not a single one has anything to do with a mk1 petrol 1.8t of any description.

Yes, i could probably get one from another part of the uk but it wont be long before i have another car as my circumstances in life have changed dramatically lately. Not a lottery win by a long shot but inheritance is about to see me right.

As you can now see it really isn't worth the time and effort to fix this car as I never planned to keep it even this long and it must go to either a new owner or the great bug scrapyard in the sky. It would be too much hassle to obtain the bits and have them fitted and programmed.

Failing that. I'm going to see vauxhall about the scrappage deal and try to get a new car on hp for the mean time to save the new project from daily abuse when i buy it. *cough* rs6... Shhh!.

I too have looked at S6's (Avants) rather than RS6's to replace the octavia but I prefer the octavia running costs and there was not enough in the way they drive to make me change.  the Octy being 4x4 turbo charged 200+BHP and easily does 40 on a motorway run (doubles to 80 thanks to LPG)  I know the interior on the S6 was nice but a set of GTI heated Leather Recaros and again there wont be a lot in it.

shame if another mk1 4x4 gets broken - only 731 left

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/skoda_octavia_elegance_t_4x4

I'd like to say a big thankyou to you all for helping me with my skoda.

I have decided to try to make use of the scrappage scheme and trade in for brand new car. I'm yet to be confirmed and collect the car but i thought it best to let you know that despite best efforts the car is unsaveable.

If for whatever reason my consideration is rejected the car will go on ebay for "highest bid wins" and no matter what it goes for it's a guaranteed sale. Even if its £1. I will post to let you all know so you can take part if you wish.

Except for the known issue the car is immaculate.

I think its best to chime in and clarify what is wrong with it so that rumours can be put to bed.

At some point in it's life one of the previous 4 owners (7 in total including me, 2 of whom i know very well) has managed to bypass something from low down on the block. Something electrical. There has been a wire placed between whatever is/was there and jammed into the ecu. The ecu has not been opened but we assume its not meant to be there and is most likely a big player in the issue.

The ecu wont remember stuff so we can assume it is faulty. The throttlebody is second hand and looks like it has seen better days. This leads us to believe the issue has always been there but someone discovered a "patch" and sold it on to my friend who i got it from and it is just bad luck it went on me. This makes us believe that we "could" end up having to replace the throttle body after figuring out what the hell has been done to the ecu and block. This is all responsible for the p1296 error i keep getting.

On top of that the rear offside door is stuck deadlocked and the mot is due on the 3rd of december.

Even if it could be a cheap fix i simply cant be bothered with it anymore. "i" cannot save this car.

Thanks for everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, im back for another beating. This bitch WILL run.

So I have had a good nose around the engine bay and i believe I can say there was some half truths in this and some lies / misinformation by the mechanics.

The yellow wire that hangs loose down the right hand side of the engine is meant to be there. It goes to somewhere under the battery box, i am convinced it is normal on an arx engine as other vw engines have a similar wire. It branches off the loom just before the plug for the cts. There is also a yellow/grey wire, 2 inches long that is disconnected and free to short out. I desperately need a wiring diagram for the arx engine. Can anyone help here?. I believe the ecu is untouched as i cannot see any wires out of place. The mechanic has washed his hands of this car.

So, started it up and the sai kicked in which suggests "something" is wrong. There is no cel at the moment, no fault codes stored. It has recently been reset but not driven, only idled. It ran great for about 30 mins total then plugged in the pump to the cigarette lighter socket to inflate my tyre and it starts hunting for revs immediately. System voltage reads 13.7 to 13.9 which is bottom end but could be highlighting an issue with battery or alternator, most likely battery.

So, while its hunting i noticed the fuel flow rate would be at 15ccm while cold to 70celcius and up to 21ccm at 90 celcius. Then all of a sudden the fuel flow drops to 0ccm as the engine tries to die then it spikes to 45-50ccm and tries to settle back at 19ccm. It nearly immediately repeats this action at 19ccm ish. Exhaust gasses smell rich like over fueling and theres a nice puddle of wet, actually appears to be water build up, where the exhaust exit blows the gasses down at the floor.. There is also wet at only the injector seats but it doesn't smell of fuel but its not oil either..

I have my own theories but I'd like to see if anyone can make something of this..

Edited by shivadow

Update,

Cel came on so i scanned for codes and the obd seemed to halt/crash. Turned the car off and on and no cel so another scan revealed no fault codes. So.. A fault that causes a cel but leaves no trace.. I think someone mentioned a faulty ecu before so thats next on the hit list..

Another update.. Found AUM stamped on the head. So its not an arx as first thought.. The plot thickens Mr Watson.. I think I'm going to have to get my hands dirty and get nitty gritty with this car. I hate working on cars.. Need a wiring diagram for an aum..