Possibly buying a Octavia scout

Hi all I did do a search and couldn't find to much on the scout I have seen a nice low mileage 2010 scout for sale locally although originally I was looking a VRS could possibly have my arm twisted into a scout as it ticks a lot of boxes.

It's a diesel with the 140bhp engine just wanting to pick you guys brains on what possibly to look out for .

Or if they're are any failure on this car.

If there is a topic already covering this please put me in the tight direction and I apologise for starting another.

Kind regards Neil

Edited by Ulster neil

The proteus alloys are prone to delineation so budget on needing to refurb or replace if you like your wheels to look good.

Haldex oil should be changed every 40k (IIRC) but even dealers apparently often miss it. If there's any doubt about it having been done, get that as part of the deal.

2010 will be facelift but may still be the pd engine with DPF. Not necessarily a problem but perhaps something to be aware of and check.

The Scout is a great car and the standard spec is good. Underneath it's essentially just a normal Octy but with raised suspension, 4 wheel drive, and some plastic cladding, so shares many of the same pros and cons. A nice low mileage example could be a good buy.

It doesn't have the acceleration or handling of the vRS but it's still very capable, grips well and can handle terrain/ conditions I wouldn't risk with the vRS (especially on summer tyres).

Edited by Sarge
  • Like 1

Thanks sarge that helps a lot, there's only 20k on the car but do u think the haldex oil should be changed anyway because of age , or does that matter .

I haven't actually looked at the car in the flesh yet but from pictures looks in great condition only thing I could spot from pics was as you say one of the alloys looks to have corrosive marks.

How will I know if it is the PD engine ?

Thanks Neil

Edited by Ulster neil

If the car is a FL then it has a newer generation of the Haldex system and I think the Oil change interval is every 3 years, not mileage based like the Gen 2 Haldex fitted to the pre FL Octavia.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

At that age it could be a PD or a CR. They did them with the CR from 2010 but not sure what month.

They both have a DPF but the CR is generally kinder on the DPF than the PD.

Couple of ways to tell visually;

csrobruu1sybdmmxpmmh.jpg

PDvsCR.jpg

Not sure If I can add anything but I have a 2013 Scout, and its a great drive  The 4WD is great in the dry (no wheel spinning on gravel, loose surfaces etc), as well as the wet and snow. In winter I put winter tyres on and its tackled some very bad conditions in the Alps with no bother at all. The CR140 pulls really well and has good mid rev range performance so great for over taking. Just having my 40k service and haldex oil is being done, its only another £60, not too bad. Mines a DSG and the DSG oil is being done  which is much more expensive. Over all its been a very good buy, I'll probably keep mine until its done 100k or so. My alloys haven't corroded yet but apparently that's unusual. 

Edited by paddypaws
  • Like 1

Mine's (07 plate) coming up to 180k, no major issues. Found it with MFSW, Xenons and MaxiDot. Goes like a train and sticks to the road like poo on a baby's bum.

Takes retro-fits quite nicely too. ;) ;)