Fabia MC estate or VRS estate. Which one ?

Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of trading in my Fabia mk1 1.2 3cyl 54plate estate for either a Fabia 11  Monte Carlo 1.2Tsi or a VRS estate, but very undecided as to which one to go for.

Really interested in the Vrs estate but after reading about the oil consumption problems etc, that has put me of a lot.

Read good reviews about the 1.2 Tsi MC 105bhp and wondering about that now.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions about my choices.

If l went for the 1.2 Tsi, l've read it can be remapped. What kind of power could l go too and would it involve any major engine mods ?

Is there any way when looking at a second  hand VRS if you can tell/find out if the engine has had any work done to it as regards the oil consumption problem ?

My other motor ( well the wifes ) is a swift sport 1.6 which l've supercharged and remapped etc, etc, and pushing out 165 bhp. Could l get something like that from the 1.2 Tsi ??

Any help in making my mind up will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob. :D

taking the 1.2 that far when you can get approx 195bhp standard from a CTHE vRS estate seems pointless, plus there are less than 700 vRS estates in the country , so will be quite rare ;)

best thing to do is buy a later CTHE engine code car, ask the garage what warrenty work has been done to find its history, and speak to the previous owner if possible.

CTHE cars are mostly reliable, I have a 2013 estate (not biased at all! lol) and I havent checked the oil since before I went to the ring in sept, and thrashed it to death! ;) I track mine a lot, and apart from buying new brakes and tyres every year, the car is fine ;)

a few choice mods (springs RARB ect ) can make it handle nice too.

here's mine ;)

IMG_0454.jpg

at the ring in sept....

11951365_10155871487375467_1594458759786

go for it!

• Like 3

Thanks for quick reply Sharkrider.

Love your VRS. exact colour l'm looking for. :envy:  But cant seem to find one for sale in black.

Do you have any problems with the gearbox ?  Read reviews about the gear changes being too early or something like that.

I've seen an estate Monte Carlo Black Edition for sale which looks lovely but they're wanting 11k for it. Bit more than what l want to pay out.  :dull:

How does the VRS estate perform as standard set up ? And is there anything else that can be done to the engine to get a bit more bhp out of it. ie remap etc ?

Cheers.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I'd recommend the vRS estate too! Only picked mine up a week ago & it's a CTHE model, late 2012. I probably wouldn't have risked buying a CAVE engine because of what I read on this forum. Appreciate there are good ones out there though.

Drove it back from Scotland to Cornwall last week & used it around town since then. No oil usage at all but early days yet, & the engine is incredible for a 1.4!!

I'm certainly not disappointed & don't regret it.

• Like 4

There is a Black 2012 vRS Estate with a low mileage advertised on Autotrader right now.

(There asking price might be wishful thinking, but it depends how much they want to sell it,

people are catching on just how good these estate cars are.)

I think there are some on the Skoda UK Used car searcher as well.

http://autotrader.co.uk

You can fit a tuning box to a late 2012-2013 on vRS.

But best try driving one first to see if you need to do that sometime.

worth watch sharkrider's vRS estate on video at 'the ring' or at trackdays or even on the 1/4 mile, to see how a standard engine estate, but with inexpensive suspension and brake upgrades can perform.

• Like 1

I've had a swift sport which was a fun little car and standard so I bet a supercharged version is a right hoot. I recently changed my blackline Octavia vrs for a 2013 fabia vrs estate. I looked at a monte Carlo whilst looking at a different vrs estate and although they look nice imho the vrs still looks better and no matter how much tuning you do to the monte,I'm sure it won't put a smile on your face like the vrs does. Four weeks today I've had mine and no regrets what so ever other than I wish I bought it last year instead of the Octavia.

Ryan.

• Like 2

Some pic and info of the Swift would be interesting.

You are going to have to spend lots to get a Monte Carlo 1.2 TSI to anything like a Supercharged Swift Sport, 

including the spending on uprating the brakes.

This sounds wunderbar...

With Custom Exhaust more HP but lower Torque on the dyno than a Standard 1.4TSI Twincharger,

less than a Stage 1 CAVE or CTHE with Tuning Box.

• Like 2

Hi guys.

Many thanks for the feedback. :clap:

That black vrs has just come onto Autotrader and is what l'm looking for.

Trouble is its 164 miles away and probably out of warranty so its a long way to keep traveling to that garage if l start having engine problems etc. 

But l still think the front end of a Black edition MC looks better, but agree the performance won't be any thing like the Vrs.

My Swift Sport is Monster Sport Supercharged, not a rotrex, 421 mani, custom made decat full flow exhaust, homemade air inlet with cold air feed, remapped and lowered. Drilled and grooved front discs with Pagid pads. Thats about it really, except the wife has had it blue vinyl wrapped on the roof and bonnet.

When were the later CTHE engines sold from ?

Many thanks chaps. :thumbup:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/290466-phantom-fabia-ii-vrs-estate

You can buy a 'Skoda Used Warranty', for less than £300 if the car qualifies.

& a Properly Serviced and not Remapped vRS Twincharger should qualify, so that is peace of mind.

There are threads about the warranties,

maybe someone can link the Application Form, so you can see it.

• Like 1

Thanks for quick reply Sharkrider.

Love your VRS. exact colour l'm looking for. :envy:  But cant seem to find one for sale in black.

Do you have any problems with the gearbox ?  Read reviews about the gear changes being too early or something like that.

I've seen an estate Monte Carlo Black Edition for sale which looks lovely but they're wanting 11k for it. Bit more than what l want to pay out.  :dull:

How does the VRS estate perform as standard set up ? And is there anything else that can be done to the engine to get a bit more bhp out of it. ie remap etc ?

Cheers.  :thumbup:

The power from a CTHE is enough for a 14.4 quarter mile, which beat all the VXR's and ST's  and RS renaults at santa pod when we were there..... engine is last on my list as the power is good enough out of the box!

Any links to Sharkriders videos etc of his Vrs at the Ring etc ?

this year ... from the back ...

earlier in the lap from rear camera...

from the front this year... they stole the sound :( stupid rules!

in the rain last year , frightening as **** on track tyres! pmsl .....

1383830_4820053475215_104893005534195763

mods are track tyres 215/40/17 RSR's, yellowstuff pads, ATE blue racing fluid, front and rear anti roll bars by H&R (polybushes in the front) eibach springs.... thats all :)

build thread here :)http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/290466-phantom-fabia-ii-vrs-estate/

and the gearbox has been perfect ... 51,000 miles , no issues, works as well as it did when new..... when I get around to tuning the engine, i will do an upgraded clutch pack change, but will leave it a alone until then the dry clutch 7 speed (DQ200?) is one of the most reliable out there, problems are rare, and they can handle much more power and torque than recommended!

gear changes too early? in "D" its designed for economy.... (you have MAX torque from 1,000 revs thanks to the supercharger) I don't think too early, works very well , I can get 50 + mpg on the way to work! (11mpg on track) when you want to drive fast, there is absolutely no reason you would be in "D" put in manual and change via the steering wheel paddles! you choose when to change...

after 10k or so, in "D" you can instinctively use throttle position and rate of throttle movement to control the programme in "D" , accelerate without a change down with smaller inputs, on echange down with a slightly higher input, 2 gear "kickdown" etc etc ... you evole with ownership :)

go for it! lol...

Shark.