Fabia 'Automatic' 1.4 front N/S suspension wishbone 18mm bolt clearance

PeteHuws

Hi experts.  The wifes 2004 54 Automatic Fabia 1.4 failed the MOT on the large front, rear console bushes needing replacement.  To cut a long story short I bought the romoval/insertion tool and set out to do it this weekend.  I started on the drivers side and managed to get it done, moving to the passenger side and this turned out to be a little more difficult as from what I can see the transmission box or something to that effect sits infront of the bolt on the passenger side.  i have managed to successfully fully loosen the bolt but do not have the clearance to withdraw the bolt and thus remove the lower arm.  I have tried jacking the engine and levering the box towards the front without success.

In the photo below (taken from the underside N/S or passenger side) one can see the loosened bolt but I'm not sure how to withdraw it, anybody had or overcome this issue before?

Many thanks indeed!

suspension%20bolt_zpsd8zywlhq.jpg

Edited by PeteHuws

Bugger!!!

How about removing the two bolts which connect the gearbox to the subframe (dogbone mount bracket above the writing) which should give you more room to swing the engine to the front?

• Like 1

You have to remove the gearbox top mount and the dogbone bolts and jack the gearbox up to get the clearance. Or drop the x member but that requires setting back up after wards

All done, Thank you both very much... I removed the gearbox top mount that sits underneath the battery box, I was then able to lift the engine & box to give the clearance, sorted it all out this evening & put it back together again. Many thanks Fabdavrav, & Felicia 16V. All the best Pete..