Power windows not working

grafitti

Recently my front windows have decided to pack up. First instance was a month ago on a booze cruise, rolled up to the passport booth and my window wouldn't go down. A bit of googling turned up a solution, open and close the passenger door. That worked, and for a couple of weeks no further issues. Now once again the windows won't move, and the door trick hasn't worked a second time. Can't see any frayed wires at the door hinge, fuses ok, everything else works. There's no click or other noise, it's like it's totally dead.

This happened before the wet weather so am inclined to exclude moisture as the culprit.

Any suggestions? I may bring it in to my local mechanic so a good start would be reducing the time he spends identifying the fault.

Thanks

Hi Graffiti. I had the same issue with my roomster . firstly it was an intermittent fault that drove me mad as the windows worked when they felt like it,then they died completely.

The issue is the wiring loom in the driver's door, on some UK cars they over stretched the loom so over time some of the wires start to crack ( this is what my mechanic told me).

I eventually had to have a new loom in the driver's door and the car is good as new.

Have a look to see if the small red led on the driver's door is working. Mine packed up when the window's stopped, but all working now.

Think it cost around £100 to get fixed,but money well spent, as it's nice to open the windows again

Hi Graffiti. I had the same issue with my roomster . firstly it was an intermittent fault that drove me mad as the windows worked when they felt like it,then they died completely.

The issue is the wiring loom in the driver's door, on some UK cars they over stretched the loom so over time some of the wires start to crack ( this is what my mechanic told me).

I eventually had to have a new loom in the driver's door and the car is good as new.

Have a look to see if the small red led on the driver's door is working. Mine packed up when the window's stopped, but all working now.

Think it cost around £100 to get fixed,but money well spent, as it's nice to open the windows again

I had the same on boot lid recently, Number plate lights died first.

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried cycling the windows/locks but no success. Both windows are dead, driver door led still flashes, cannot see any obvious cracking on wires. I guess it's off to the garage...