Octavia mk2 engine cover and damping

Hi all. As usual I only end up here when I have an issue with my motor. The engine cover has started to rattle. The foam liner has deteriorated with age as has the damping pad that runs round the top of the engine. I have the part numbers from a site you guys directed me to for other things but can't seem to locate the bits. 03G103954 for the Damping and 03G103925BK for the cover. 

Is it possible to replace just the foam liner on the cover rather than the whole thing?

• 3 weeks later...

I have an update. No new cover, but on driving without the cover I noticed no difference at all. I have a rattling noise. Sounds a bit like a tin exhaust guard has come loose. It's in the engine bay somewhere but I can't see it or narrow down any further. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New engine covers can be had cheap enough on eBay, here is one with the part numbers stamped in too...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OCTAVIA-MK2-1-9-TDI-04-09-ENGINE-COVER-03G103925BN-/262104686032?hash=item3d06a81dd0:g:X3AAAOSwHnFV12ie

One with the foam still attached...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Octavia-2004-To-2008-1-9-Diesel-Engine-Cover-/161748501036?hash=item25a8f6422c:g:hIUAAOSwMmBVkVS4

If the rattle is still there with the engine cover removed then I wonder if there is a loose exhaust heat shield?

• 1 month later...

It sits on top of the engine under the engine cover and as you can see it's turning to dust. Any ideas on part numbers or where I might get one? Here's a photo of the foam from the underside of the engine cover too.3456bfff8b78fa954d67bddf606de7b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

It's just sound insulation, I binned mine when it crumbled and kept making a mess all over the engine.

Can't say I notice any difference when driving the car, it's perhaps a tad noisier from a pedestrian's perspective.

I still have the hard plastic cover with sponge backing but ditched the foam wrap bit that was making a mess as it disintegrated.

While you're there check around the edges of where the plastic cover sits. I caught fuel pipes before they chaffed through and sleeved them with old larger rubber hose to protect them.