Ipod - Columbus

I have been trying to find some information on how to get an ipod working in my 09 octavia vrs.

From what i read i need a MDI unit? Is this correct? if so, what is this unit? what does it do, what are its capabilities?

Is it easy to fit?#

Sorry for all the questions

:)

Questions are what we're here for ;)

MDI is an interface unit that presents as a MDI socket (as OEM fit, it would be in the glove box). You then get the "right" cable to connect to your device (iphone, lightning, usb A, usb mini, etc etc) This then allows your head unit to play the media from that device, and control it through the front controls (like SDCard or CD).

Easy to fit (unplug from back of head unit, plug MDI loom in, plug original cable into MDI loom. Hide the MDI box, and run the device cable.) Essentially if you know which end of a screwdriver to hold.....you can fit it.

Depending on car/headunit *may* require coding. (all of 2 mins) When I fitted mine to my DNS 315 and RNS510, didn't need it.

Usually found on ebay as: unit, loom and "wrong" device cable. (As with most things, finding the right one straight off is a nightmare.) But the device cables are usually around a tenner. However, Lightning comes in two flavours, white and green: I recall for the RNS315/RNS510 you need the white collared one. (I suspect if you have Bolero, it will be the same)

Hope this helps :)

Since Apple have split the Podcast app from the main Music app, I've really gone off MDI.

It worked great in my Octavia on iOS 7, but since 8 it's been broken and Apple show no sign of fixing it.

If that doesn't bother you, it is quite easy to fit in an Octavia (that's where mine started). Generally plug and play, but coding with VCDS always advised.

I'd also recommend sourcing the mounting bracket for the controller as it is more secure and more as it should be.