Cold start problem Octavia I 1.9 TDI 81 kW

elbedin

Hi,

Have a problem with my Octavia I 1.9 TDI 81 kW when starting cold on 15 C and the problem gets worse on 0 C.

I changed my akku (Varta 74Ah Blude Dynamic), repaired starter, checheg the glowthings, everything is ok.

When the car starts, after 3 or 4th try, the big white smokecloud cames out.

Have anyone similar problems?

Please help!

Welcome. We don't have many people from Turkey.

I, and many others, have experienced the same issue. You may find that when the temperature is very low, say -10C, it will start easily.

I changed the coolant temperature sensor and this improved things but not a total solution.

After the next timing belt change (my third) the problem was gone. Talking to people I found out that most garages (inc Skoda) just change the belt. What they should do is use software such as VCDS to make a small adjustments to the timing as well. This it what had been done during after my last belt change.

So, first replace the coolant temp sensor with a genuine VW group green sensor. This is an easy job and the cost of the part is low. [As it is a dual sensor with one output to the dash display and the other to the ECU, you may not realise one half has failed].

Secondly find someone who really knows VCDS  and how to check and make fine adjustments to the timing using this software.