Audi A3 - good idea ?

Hi folks,

Does anybody here have much experience of the Audi A3 mark 2 (2004 - 2008, I think). We have two Octavia IIs at home, been running both for a few years now and really impresed. I'm looking to replace mine.

Certainly I would consider another Octavia, but I am being quite picky and looking for a nice low mileage example and that limits the choice. So I am considering all related VAG models as well.

I have seen a nice A3 1.9 PD 105, same engine as my current Octavia. 2004 year, fairly low miles at 66k, FSH, one owner from new, etc. The two cars share the same base chassis and many components in common. Are the weak points on the A3 the same as for Octavia ? I am aware of at least one issue unique to the A3 - failed dashboard pod (which has been changed on the car I saw). But in general, could the A3 be considered as reliable as the Octavia ?

Good car and low miles , check if the boot is big enough for you is my only negative

Thanks. Yes, I noticed the boot size. Not a big issue for me (we will keep one Octavia). Funny how the same chassis can be made so much less practical.

• Like 1

The weak point of Audi is it's price.It's more expensive to buy one, parts cost more etc.

Thanks. Would many of the parts be the same as for Octavia, therefore the same price ? Obviously I appreciate there are major cosmetic differences so some parts not interchangeable (e.g. trim), but much of the running gear is the same, e.g. brake discs, engine service items.

The purchase price remains to be seen. Depends how the bartering goes.

Edited by Will777888