Service reset

Alexandru

3 hours ago, Gingepd100 said:

Mine doesn't turn, so would mine be the long holding method? 

Yes, it's only supposed to turn a very small amount. You need to hold it.

Edited by TMB

Does it not feel like it's clicking? It's not supposed to turn as such, just a very slight twist. There are two switches on the cluster circuit board that an arm on the trip button presses on when you twist it.

webnm.png

Edited by TMB

12 minutes ago, TMB said:

Does it not feel like it's clicking? It's not supposed to turn as such, just a very slight twist. There are two switches on the cluster circuit board that an arm on the trip button presses on when you twist it.

webnm.png

No, doesn't turn at all. Any ideas why this is? Frustrating because to reset my service warning it needs a turn to the right during the sequence. So I'm unable to reset the service warning! 

Seems very odd. I guess the only thing that would stop the button from being twisted is a broken switch but I doubt very much that both of them would be broken.

3 hours ago, TMB said:

Seems very odd. I guess the only thing that would stop the button from being twisted is a broken switch but I doubt very much that both of them would be broken.

That's why I'm baffled mate. I don't want to force turn it with pliers and no matter how much I wiggle it, it doesn't turn! Frustrating!

Yeah. Only way to find out would be to remove the cluster (very easy) and take it apart (not difficult if you know what you're doing).

21 minutes ago, TMB said:

Yeah. Only way to find out would be to remove the cluster (very easy) and take it apart (not difficult if you know what you're doing).

If you have the time, could you please send me a link or run me through it so I can check if that's it? 

Yeah sure.

You might want to disconnect the battery but I have never found it necessary, just keep the key out of the ignition. All I lose is my trip mileage and clock setting. Might be different on other models.

To remove the cluster: Pull the trim below the cluster towards you at each side to remove it...

4454555.png

Undo the two T25 Torx screws at the bottom of the cluster...

fg56767.png

Lower the steering column to its lowest setting.

Ease the cluster gently out at the top.

Pull it forwards and release the two connector plugs - the black one on the left has a tag that must be depressed and the green plug on the right has a plastic lever that is pulled up to release the plug.

Ease the cluster out of the dash and that's it.

I will tell you how to dismantle the cluster shortly.

Edited by TMB

OK, I took some pics of my spare cluster for you. Firstly check that there is no adhesive tape or labels around the edge of the cluster, if there is, remove them. There are 8 clips holding the cluster together at the back. Lift each clip and slide a piece of card under all 8 of them - I cut pieces from old greetings cards or cereal packets, etc.

028.jpg

Gently pull on the back of the cluster and it will come open. Make sure you still have 8 pieces of card as you don't want any to have fallen inside the cluster. The circuit board with the switches in question are now exposed for inspection.

trvnm.png

Edited by TMB