Quick clutch question

Jaytip

Hi folks, does anyone have a ballpark price for a clutch and DMF replacement at an indy please?

Noticed yesterday that I'm starting to get a bit of tightness in the gear change between 1-2,2-3, and a quick look online suggests it may be the clutch on its way out.

This couldn't happen at a worse time. My car is a taxi and Christmas is the busiest time of the year. I really don't think I will be able to get it into a main dealer before the new year, and can't afford to be off over Christmas so I think I will just have to take a chance that it is the clutch and get it done at an indy.

Cheers.

Ivor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This should give you an idea of costs for the direct replacement OEM clutch and flywheel and I guess at least a half days labour to fit?

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/sachs-dual-mass-flywheel-and-sre-clutch-kit-for-2-0-tdi-audi-a4-a5-b8-platform.html

Hi folks, does anyone have a ballpark price for a clutch and DMF replacement at an indy please?

Noticed yesterday that I'm starting to get a bit of tightness in the gear change between 1-2,2-3, and a quick look online suggests it may be the clutch on its way out.

This couldn't happen at a worse time. My car is a taxi and Christmas is the busiest time of the year. I really don't think I will be able to get it into a main dealer before the new year, and can't afford to be off over Christmas so I think I will just have to take a chance that it is the clutch and get it done at an indy.

Cheers.

Ivor.

Change the concentric slave cylinder (fitted to manual 6 speed 2.0 diesel) whilst the gearbox is off. It is known to fail and is another gearbox off job and it also usually covers the clutch with brake fluid when it fails.

Edited by bigjohn

Change the concentric slave cylinder (fitted to manual 6 speed 2.0 diesel)whilst the gearbox is off. It is known to fail and is another gearbox off job

What are the symptoms of that failing please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the symptoms of that failing please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually thinking about it - the symptoms you describe - how is reverse?

You get air in the system and eventually can loose brake/clutch fluid which means the clutch not fully released when you put the pedal to the floor (tight gear changes) . Eventually foot to the floor does nothing and you find a pool of brake/clutch fluid under the bell-housing

Make sure the replacement clutch isn't a Sachs one:-

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/363426-clutch-eats-gearbox-and-bank-balance/

Edited by bigjohn

It does struggle to go into reverse now and again, but to be honest I thought that was just a trait of the 'box??

May be just slave cylinder, still gearbox off job though

That wasn't an option for me yesterday, hence the question.

By the fact you have tightness in the low gears and possibly reverse then it's almost certainly a clutch issue. Probably best to ensure an independent orders in all the parts (DMF, Clutch kit & slave cylinder) before car comes in to ensure it is returned quickly

It's confusing me slightly now. Did a S Wales to bristol then up to Birmingham and back run today and it felt ok. It's going into Skoda tomorrow for them to have a quick look, so I will report back.

• 1 month later...

It's confusing me slightly now. Did a S Wales to bristol then up to Birmingham and back run today and it felt ok. It's going into Skoda tomorrow for them to have a quick look, so I will report back.

Any update Jaytip?