That's it......

pmh

Tomorrow my 1.8tsi first registered may 2009 will have to go to the workshop....again.

It has 290.000km.

Car history:

- Radiator fans not working

- change of main cluster instrument do to strange noise

- oil level sensor changed

- front seat repaired

All this was fixed on warranty in the first month of ownership

App 60.000. On holiday the car was not responding well to accellerator input. It was picked up by a tow truck and brought to a workshop. Only work they did was to factory reset something with a computer.

Clutch change at app. 110.000km. . Had complained for app 50.000 that something was wrong. Now they accepted it was slipping but said outside warranty. Paid app. 50% of the bill.

At app. 130.000 and less than 3 years old cam chain tensioner broke. Workshop told me the car needed new engine. Zero warranty or backup !!

Took the car to another dealer that repaired the engine with new cam chain kit and new cams etc. = big expensive repair.

At app. 145.000 DSG7 broken. Zero warranty or backup. Initially I was told the mechatronic needed changing but they found metal parts in the oil so had to get the complete gearbox exchanged with an exchange unit. = big expensive repair.

After this I had to change first one then later the other real wheel bearing. Not because of bearing failure but because the magnets that are put on like a piece of scotch tape was not sticking any more.

Twin door problems. Broken wires found an soldered.

At 270.000 the intake manifold was changed.

Constant problems with heel and tow wear on rear tyres.

Now at 290.000 the DSG7 has a bad grinding noise in all high gears. Tomorrow a gearbox from a scrapped car with app. 15.000km will be installed.

I want to sell the car.

I have been happy with the space and the function of the car but the mechanical problems and the lack of support from the dealership and the Skoda import has been very disappointing.

I'm considering an E-class 220. Hopefully a MB will either be better or they will have better support.

Sorry to read of your problems....but you stuck it out to almost 300k so as you say, something to like about the car. Good luck with the Merc though.....

Seems like the two biggest / most expensive repairs have been the engine and two DSG gearboxes.

This is why for high mileage I avoided the TSI engines and the auto gearboxes.

The Mercedes E Class a good chunk more cash but a good car by all accounts. Just a shame it's a saloon.