WLAN client on Columbus infotainment

Sorry to reiterate one of the questions asked previously:

What is the point of WLAN Client function of the Columbus head unit?

In other words, why would the car itself (and not the passengers' phones / tablets) need an Internet connection?

The one scenario I can envisage is with Media Command, where an external device (tablet) needs simultaneous access to both Columbus and the internet for Google Earth (if you want the navigation function).

Tablet with no SIM <--hotspot--> Columbus with no SIM <--client--> Phone with internet.

In this scenario the Tablet is connected to Columbus' Hotspot.

Columbus is connected as a Client to the Phone.

(all together now - the thigh bone is connected to the knee bone)

In theory it should work. Columbus can be both a Hotspot and Client at the same time.

Whether it works in practice is something I have not put to the test.

In any other scenario, where access to Columbus is not needed, it strikes me as more logical to link other devices directly to the phone.

That said, depending on your phone, it may be easier to have your passengers connect their devices to Columbus rather than directly to your phone.

The only use for WLAN client that I have found so far is to play music from a UPnP media server.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk