1.2 Diesel Greenline.

Hi,

Can any owner(s) of a Roomster 1.2 Diesel Greenline 2015 advise me as to whether or not they find it underpowered. My local dealer has one on sale, but I'm a bit wary of finding it a bit too slow as 1.2 litres for a diesel seems very small.

Any other known problems with this model ?

Many thanks.

Dave .

I had a 1.2 TDI Fabia GLII estate for 2 1/2 years and it was more than adequate for what I wanted

spritely enough around town, but not the fastest on the motorway, if you live in a hilly area you will develop a left arm like popeye due to all the gear changes

it can be a bit noisy but wind it up over 3000 rpm and it sounds quite nice

having said that take it out for a test drive I think you will be pleasantly surprised, pulls well from about 1700-1800 rpm

so long as you keep below 65mph you can normally get 55mpg+, on a few runs kent to west midlands I got 85+mpg at a steady 60-62mph but those were the exception not the rule, normally averaged 60-65mpg on mixed driving

one thing to note, some 1.2 TDI's are affected by the emissions recall

Hi Bluecar1,

Thanks for your advice.

My current Roomster 1.2 TSI SE is spritely enough for me, I wouldn't want anything more powerful, but wouldn't like to be the 'sad old sod' in front of the queue at the lights holding everybody back.

Perhaps I will plump for a long test drive to get a better feel for a diesel engine having never driven one before.

Many thanks.

Googled link to Autocar road test of Fabia 1.2 Greenline, which you might find useful:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/fabia/first-drives/skoda-fabia-greenline-ii

I have not driven the 3-pot 1.2 diesel.  But my previous Roomster had the 4-pot 1.9TDI, which I can only describe as "agricultural" when compared with the 1.2TSI in my present Roomster.  I suspect the levels of noise and vibration might surprise you when you drive a Roomster diesel for the first time.  I think a long test drive will be essential.

And if most of your journeys are urban/stop-start, remember the diesel will be fitted with a DPF.

• Like 1

its not the quietest car compared to a petrol, but once warmed up not to bad

it is a bit rattly from cold for a mile or so

a lot of auto "experts" do not like diesels , but take it for a test drive, you have nothing to lose apart from an hour or so of your time

• Like 2

Thanks again for your advice, I think I will stick with my 1.2 TSI for a few more years as I've not read anything to convince me that the diesel is a good idea.

It will be a very difficult choice to make when I decide to replace the Roomster, nothing else on the market compares, not even the Yeti.

Many Thanks.

Unless you're doing high mileage then I'd stick with your 1.2 TSI.

The 1.2 TDI is noisier, slower, takes much longer to warm up and has a DPF so won't like lots of short journeys.

They're not as agricultural as the 4 and 3 cylinder PD engines since the switch to common rail.

• Like 1