Smartlink / Apple CarPlay

alski

My local dealer has now found me a 1.2 Tsi (110) with most of the bits I need. However I would really like the Smartlink / Apple CarPlay functionality - is it any good ? 

So how can I tell or explain to him to find out whether this particular car has it or not. Just to explain the car isn't physically at the dealer, it's one of those they can call off from Skoda UK as an ex-staff car. 

Thanks for advice in advance !

If it was built before week 22 which was about the end of May 2015 it will only have Mirrorlink so won't have Smartlink/Apple CarPlay.

If it was built on or after then it will have it. Can't comment on how good it is as mine only has Mirrorlink which means only a handful of phones are compatible and when they do, the apps that work are sketchy.

Bluetooth works great and streaming music is fab and that's all I ask of it.

i have post 22 build smartlink/appleplay.

90% of the time its fine. It very handy using google maps as a sat nav and you can use spotify on the move etc. pretty decent. 

It's basic and needs refining, but a good start. The only bad thing is that in mine (i previously posted a thread about it) is that occasionally smartlink will not recognise my iphone6 for love nor money. On about the 20th time of asking/connecting - it does.

quite annoying. 

Benefit with CarPlay is that the CarPlay bit will constantly be getting updated as and when your phone does; Apple and its select third party apps will likely keep making amends to make the experience better.

I'm keen to spend some time with CarPlay/Android Auto to properly see how much benefit it gives over the car's standard user interface etc.

Typed on a phone

Looking into a Monte Carlo... Had a play with CarPlay at Geneva Motor Show at the weekend and was impressed.

On the options list there's something called Smartgate. Is this something additional, or do I have to specify this to get CarPlay? Anyone know? Thanks.

Also, does anyone have the 1.4 TDI 105, and if so, how d'you find it? I do a lot of motorway miles and am used to driving a 6 speed...

Typed on a phone

Edited by Octy09

Smartgate is the telemetry pack. Analyses your driving with free phone/tablet apps. Can be retrofitted. Not sure many people bother with it.

• Like 1