2016 KIA Sportage

Chubbs

Ok, only a brief test drive but here goes!

Model

KX-3, 2.0 diesel, manual

First impressions

Very good looking car in the flesh, exterior had good lines and in proportion, gave the impression, albeit for a second, of the Porche Cayenne with the lights at the front!

This model had a good interior with much better materials then its predecessor, the lower spec models not quite so. Not a massive amount of headroom for us tall folk, so beware the KX-4 with the panoramic roof!

The drive

The seating was firm and supportive and provided a good high driving position to aid all round visibility.

The ride on the 19" wheels was also very good, a tad hard for our Yorkshire pot holes from time to time but in the main very accomplished. It handled well with minimum body roll and cornered well with the four wheel drive.

The engine was noticeably tight with just 35 miles on the clock but the low down pull and mid range was non the less good. Turns out this model was a 134 bhp engine and I'd be more than happy with this for daily use. The KX-4 gets the 184 bhp unit and this should be very impressive.

The 6 speed manual box was very smooth and precise and the braking very responsive with decent feedback.

Conclusion

A very nice place to be, very comfortable yet it had road presence and a bit of fire in it's belly. I'm hoping to test the 184 diesel next. The looks, whilst a bit unique to say the least, worked and the car is much better than the outgoing model.

Would I buy one? Without doubt, especially with the usual KIA 7 year warranty. There are some half decent PCH deals out there too given it's such a new model.

Edited by Chubbs

Just sold my 13 reg Sportage. Had her for 3 years. 1.7cr di engine. Ex2 spec Have to say it gave me no trouble at all. But I grew to hate it. I think the novility of sitting high grew off me. The ride was a little soft but very comfortable. Cant really explain why I didn't like it because the only complaint I ever had about it was the tiny boot.

Edited by EricG

It sort of drove itself if that makes any sense. It was not a powerful car but didn't lack power either sometimes felt like a boat with the soft suspension. But as I said its prob just me. Glad to see the back of it. The mum in law had one the same loved it. Best motor she ever had ! Has Mitsubishi asx now and hates it. It's all subjective ( if that's the right word)

Just sold my 13 reg Sportage. Had her for 3 years. 1.7cr di engine. Ex2 spec Have to say it gave me no trouble at all. But I grew to hate it. I think the novility of sitting high grew off me. The ride was a little soft but very comfortable. Cant really explain why I didn't like it because the only complaint I ever had about it was the tiny boot.

I think you might find the new model much more involving to drive with more personality.

dont know. Think it was just me. Have to say the new model looks the business anyways. The crossover market here in Ireland is huge. Every second car is a Sportage, ix35 or quashi.