Pipe into Tandem Fuel Pump perished & detached....

Hi all

After a little advice from someone with a bit more of a technical head than mine if possible.

Was cleaning the car this afternoon (Fabia vRS, PD130 BLT), popped up the bonnet to refil my washer bottle when a disconnected hose feeding into the tandem fuel pump caught my eye. (See photo below)

Perished_pipe_zpswptrj5h7.jpg

Considering how perished / split it is, I can imagine it's been like that for some time now, but knowing its like that now has naturally got me a bit worried if this is something I need to get sorted urgently.

Any chance someone could first of all explain what this hose actually does, and secondly, am I am going to cause damage driving it any further before I get it sorted?

Thanks in advance!

That's the vacuum pipe. Are your brakes working ok?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Yeh they seem to feel ok..... no different to what I consider to feel 'normal' anyway. Either that or I've been experiencing poor brakes for the last 3 years of ownership; even with the 312 / 256mm upgrades!

Yeh they seem to feel ok..... no different to what I consider to feel 'normal' anyway. Either that or I've been experiencing poor brakes for the last 3 years of ownership; even with the 312 / 256mm upgrades!

I would suspect it's deteriorated but not actually leaking. Should be easy enough to change, I think it goes to a little module on the bulk head. You should be able to get a replacement from a dealer/tps.

I would suspect it's deteriorated but not actually leaking. Should be easy enough to change, I think it goes to a little module on the bulk head. You should be able to get a replacement from a dealer/tps.

Just been having a little search around, and apparantly it's quite easy to replace (any tips and tricks though from anyone who has done this in the past though would be appreciated... it looks a little bit of a squeeze down by the brake servo itself!)

Searched for the part number on Skoda Parts website, and they look to be around the £30 mark, so a trip to TPS on the way home I think :)

Just been having a little search around, and apparantly it's quite easy to replace (any tips and tricks though from anyone who has done this in the past though would be appreciated... it looks a little bit of a squeeze down by the brake servo itself!)

Searched for the part number on Skoda Parts website, and they look to be around the £30 mark, so a trip to TPS on the way home I think :)

If you take the pipe between the air filter and turbo off you'll should have enough space. It will probably be easiest to cut the old vacuum pipe off.

Edited by trundlenut

Very common, brake vacuum pipes never have been a VAG strong point.

Cheers Ross! I'll give it a go tomorrow if I can manage to get the new hose :)

I've seen the pipe travels to the brake servo which looks a bit of a PITA to get to with the EGR slightly in the way... Do you reckon its possible to remove the existing hose without having to remove anything else?

Managed to get the hose from TPS today,and have to say it was pretty simple to fit! Either end of the hose is held in via a rubber grommet type fitment, so a quick wiggle and they come right off!(definitely makes life easier to remove the EGR first though to access the hose end where it joins the servo)

Braking performance has certainly improved, but not perhaps as much as I thought it would.... is there any other vacuum hoses worth checking that contribute to the brake system?

• Like 1