Tin worm

Hiya All. I´ve just pulled the Octy off the road as it´s not likely to pass the 'ITV' - not a TV channel but the Spanish MOT.

I´ve a refurb in mind but one of the advisories that they´ve been telling me about for the last three years when I haven´t had time to look at it at all was that there is apparently some rust underneath.

Now, I´ve been up to my elbows in Peugeot recently (which has it´s own rust issues let me tell you) and I wanted to ask before I dive underneath with a Karcher and a wire brush if anyone has seen any particular area where rust has formed on their own cars?

I´ve never heard of rust being an issue with the Octy and indeed mine or any car with particular damage/history could be affected in a way that other cars may not, but - seeing since my motor´s nothing out of the ordinary - it´s worth an ask.

As far as I'm aware, these were galvanised at the factory and hence, as you say, it's unusual to have rust issues. I certainly don't recall seeing any other threads on here regarding rust.

Mine is 15 years old now, and there's not even the slightest hint of corrosion anywhere on the body. I was recently underneath too when the car was on a ramp, and frankly underneath it almost looks like a new car still. The only corrosion visible is some surface rust on the rear suspension beam (which reminds me, I must give that a paint when the weather gets better...)

SO....in my opinion, I would suggest that if there IS rust - then it's due to accident damage / poor repairs.

The only way you're gonna know for sure how bad it is, is to get yourself under your car and use the Mk. 1 eyeball! :)

• Like 3

Thanks Lads, I´ll go under it before long now that it´s off the road and will post again if I find anything other than what you describe.