The dreaded undertray

My engine under tray has decided to part company on right-hand side (drivers side)  so when the suspension dips on that side it scrapes along the road so needs fixing.

I have read a couple of previous forum posts and one of them mentions using cable ties and I have a couple of questions:-

(1) Can repairs be done with the car on the ground or would I need to get the car on some ramps like these http://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-2-tonne-car-ramps-pair-2-pack/83061?

(2) I presume I would need to drill some holes in the under-tray and side cover to pass the cable ties through?

Or would it be better to get my local VW/Skoda expert to replace/ repair the under-tray?

Help! :sweat:

Thanks

We repaired ours so many times that it ended up looking like Swiss cheese!

In the end we just removed it and ran our Octy 1 without it - we had no problems with it removed at all. IMHO because the front end's so low it's quite difficult to get a drill underneath so we lifted ours on a high kerb or ramp and then it was fiddly but achievable.

Good luck with yours.

Just jacking up that corner helps. Zip ties should only be viewed as a temporary fix. You don't need to book in with a garage replacement is easily doable yourself and they're always available on ebay and such (watch out for the cheaper stiffer ones though). I recommend replacing and keeping all undertray though as they help mpg and minimise road noise, spray and dirt getting flung up into the engine bay towards things like auxiliary belts and wiring.

Sounds like you only need the side section as long as your centre section has good holes. Fitting kits are available which include tx25 screws, clips and those washer things that screw up onto the threaded studs to help hold up the side sections.

Just jacking up that corner helps. Zip ties should only be viewed as a temporary fix. You don't need to book in with a garage replacement is easily doable yourself and they're always available on ebay and such (watch out for the cheaper stiffer ones though). I recommend replacing and keeping all undertray though as they help mpg and minimise road noise, spray and dirt getting flung up into the engine bay towards things like auxiliary belts and wiring.

Sounds like you only need the side section as long as your centre section has good holes. Fitting kits are available which include tx25 screws, clips and those washer things that screw up onto the threaded studs to help hold up the side sections.

When I looked it is the main section that has come unfixed on the driver side, I was hoping that I may be able to use the holes that already there and pass zip ties through them

When I looked it is the main section that has come unfixed on the driver side, I was hoping that I may be able to use the holes that already there and pass zip ties through them

You may be able to but you'll probably find the reason why it dropped is that it's cracked around holes or snapped near fixing points as they do. They flex quite a bit and so after time will crack around fixings where the plastic can't flex anymore.

You may be able to but you'll probably find the reason why it dropped is that it's cracked around holes or snapped near fixing points as they do. They flex quite a bit and so after time will crack around fixings where the plastic can't flex anymore.

@ Yellow car you were correct screws had pulled through and ripped side panel, it seams to me that the main tray is made of a different strength of plastic to that of the main tray so after 12 years its not surprising that  it gave up the ghost.

Managed to park the car on sloping drive way to gain access. Used cable ties for time being, but the under tray is cracked in the centre at the front think in the past the car has hit a high curb or something as the the front bumper has a curve on the underside or are they meant to be like this? 

Many thanks

Edited by SKOD

It could be that there is a section previously replaced and as such is a different grade of plastic. This is why you have to watch the cheaper ebay ones they're pretty stiff and brittle before you even start. They do get scuffed a surprising amount so like you say after 12 years they can't take much more. Shame you don't have a petrol I have a spare centre section.