Is my AC on its way out?

Tonight it took 30 mins to get cool air out and that was me starting on 23 and slowly taking it down. I had it on low for quite some time and the air was freezing and then started warning up before hooking again

If I put it on low straight off, it just pumped out hot air. Last year it was topped up, no leaks etc so not sure what else it could be [emoji29]

I had mine regassed last year as it wasn't quite performing as I'd hoped.

It would randomly blow out warm air even after the regas but didn't put too much thought into it as it did seem to be working. Then when rerouting some cables behind the stereo with the top storage box off I noticed the two temperature sensors for the centre vent had come out!

Clicked them back in and it's been fine ever since. Must have been confusing it.

Worth checking.

• Like 1

I had mine regassed last year as it wasn't quite performing as I'd hoped.

It would randomly blow out warm air even after the regas but didn't put too much thought into it as it did seem to be working. Then when rerouting some cables behind the stereo with the top storage box off I noticed the two temperature sensors for the centre vent had come out!

Clicked them back in and it's been fine ever since. Must have been confusing it.

Worth checking.

or it could be a problem with the flaps controlling the air flow.  A scan with VCDS should help and you could try the basic settings for the flaps too.

There is a way to reset the flaps without VCDS.

Ignition on (engine off)

Hold ECON and Bottom left airflow button

There's also some way to get the fault codes to show but not sure of the button combo to do that.

Did the reset only a month or so ago. Will check the temp sensor in the top box. I am sure I remember it being there before, but it is possible as they are quite loose. 

Wife has taken mine to work to get the vag guy to have a look, see what he thinks. Excuse to use hers and then fill up with super diesel by accident, 12p a litre more! Hope the little C max appreciates it, my Octavia doesn't get treated that well!

Just for thought...

My AC/heater sometimes (quite often) has a mind of its own too, blowing hot n cold like a menopausal woman.

I've found the two button reset sometimes helps but the AC blowing hot is usually fixed (until next drive) by selecting ECON on the climatronic and waiting a few seconds until you hear the blower sound change then deselecting ECON, cold air again.

I've never looked into fixing this permanently but seeing as the vent tube to the glovebox was disconnected there is a chance I may venture further and see if the aforementioned sensors have come adrift.

• 2 weeks later...

@Phil-E

While I wait for better weather and motivation to fix a few bits n bobs on ye olde chariot...

Can you explain how to remove the top storage compartment so I can access and check for temp sensors that may have come adrift?

@Phil-E

While I wait for better weather and motivation to fix a few bits n bobs on ye olde chariot...

Can you explain how to remove the top storage compartment so I can access and check for temp sensors that may have come adrift?

Yes it just unclips. Use something to lever it up on the edge then just pull it upwards and it pops out. There's a wire attached for the hazard switch but it's long enough to just put it to one side on top of the dash without unclipping it.

@Phil-E

Thanks for the quick response.

I swapped both sensors over and (re)attached the wiring numerous times to try and overcome oxidised contacts but to no avail, still the same wonky menopausal temperature regulation!

Hijacking over.