Mk1 VRS starting issue(s)

Hi guys!

I've owned my Fabs for approx 8 months now and it really hasn't been happy sailing. Everytime I think the cars OK, something else happens and it's to the point now that I hate the thing. I've spent so much money on it that it's now not feasible for me to get rid.

Now I've had the head gasket done (not without its issues afterwards) but we managed to get roughly 3 months happy motoring from the car. It cracked it's intercooler end cap so replaced that. Finally started to feel like a brisk car after that then I suddenly started to loose coolant! Again the head gasket saga! Nope. No oil under oil cap, no exhaust gasses in header tank but could I heck find the leak. In the end it was the aluminium coolant pipes leading into the heater matrix. Couldn't see the leak as the sound deadening felt on the bulk head was covering it.

Well same day that was sorted I was out in the car and boom, the dreaded siren turbo noise. Since then the car has randomly decided to just not start. It'll turn over but nothing. The AA hooked it up to a jumper, kept turning it over and boom, it eventually fired up. It also kept running OK for a few days after that. However it's happened again and since only got worse to the point of it won't start everytime now.

I suspected the tumble pump as it's looked ropey for a while so I took it off, checked it over and replaced the gasket. No difference at all however now the car will start with the first then of the key but then immediately die! I can get it going if hooked up to another motor so I don't deaden the battery. This is annoying though for obvious reasons.

Today I decided to replace the fuel filter ans all went straight forward. I primed the filter and checked everything over. Making sure the return valve arrows followed the same as the flow print on the pipes. However I just can't get the car to start at all now. Nothing won't even attempt to splutter. I'm convinced you can only fit the non return valve one way on the filter housing but I can't think what's wrong. I even took off the fuel line leading out of the filter and by Christ was it pressurised. So I know there's plenty of fuel going round the injectors.I've tried now for over an hour to get the car started but nothing.

I'm just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this or maybes help me look at it from another angle? I don't get lights on the dash after the preheat goes out. I only get the low oil pressure warning light after cranking for 10 seconds or so then when the battery looses juice all lights come on.

Thanks guys and sorry for the war and piece

Oh and if it helps the turbo doesn't seem to have collapsed but I have by passed the turbo inlet by removing the top boost hose and starting the car that way.

This seemed to work everytime for me until today where the car was just no having any of it; I get the typical compression "putt" but no ignition spluttering or anything resembling a start.

Cheers

Edited by Adz_VRS