Reversing Camera Installation

Hey guys I'm after a little help with intalling a reversing camera on my roomster 57 plate.

So in simple form I need to take power from reversing lights for camera and then run the rca cable to the front unit. This would be ok except the reg plate camera I have means it's mounted to the back door and the lights aren't on the door... so back to basics here. Looking for a solution.

The kit I have

Reg plate reversing camera (like a backing for the reg plate)

Wireless camera sender and receiver (doesn't have to be used)

MMI display unit with camera in input. (Auto detects reverse and shows cam input on backup)

So my plan is to tuck the receiver behind the dash and power that from the reversing light power from up front somewhere - 1st problem, where's that though...

Then I'd run power from the rear light reverse cluster up to the top of the boot door and down inside the boot door.

Then id have the reg plate camera wires going in behind the reg plate lights and both this as the wireless transmittedr would feed power off the lead run from the lighrs and the signal cable would run from cam to transmitter...

This way when I pop into reverse both the camera transmitter and receiver have power and my MMI should detect a signal and auto pop into the mode showing the camera.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Henry

Perhaps I could run the power to the wireless receiver from near the fuse under the steering column? From fuse 6 for the reversing lights

Or is there a switch under the cetral column on the gear leaver/linkage?

post-107609-0-68637900-1464045199_thumb.png

Edited by haspden

Thanks John, ended up figuring it out by taking out the back of the light cluster and following the wires... the shared negative was gonna be the GND i figured and the unique positive would be the +12V DC feed.

So specifically for anybody else wondering, on the left rear cluster, the 2nd from top was the GND and the 2nd from bottom was the +12V in my case...

I tested this with a simple volt pen, put the ignition on and dumped it in reverse, and only the 2nd from bottom returned a +12V (or there or there abouts)

Thanks

Henry

Hi,

You may have problems with lines in the display if you take the power from the reverse light feed as it is pulsed via the control module.

John