Kazoo Noise......MAF EML then gone?

SWMBO was driving back from North Wales about a hour of a trip on the motorway everything was fine when she cam off and was sat in traffic is started making a strange kazoo type noise.

She pulled over and called me, when I got there about 10 mins later she started it up and it did it again, it didn't rise with the revs however if you turned the blowers on and off there seemed to be a change in its pitch.

It seemed to be right down in the engine or underneath, difficult to tell.

It threw the following code 16486 - 163 KWP1281 which is to do with the MAF as it was running bit rough. (New MAF probably about 10k ago)

She then drove it to for 5 - 10 mins to where I had a code reader and on the way it stopped doing it.

Any ideas I was thinking the secondary air pump but the car had been driving a while and it sounded like a kazoo not a hoover.

Thanks,

Ste

It seemed to be right down in the engine or underneath, difficult to tell.