breaking/running in my new car

hi guys,

first ever post here. I'm currently driving a fabia mark2 VRS, shes a lovely girl, none of those nasty oil usage problems. I thought i'd treat myself to a bday present in may so I ordered an Octavia VRS 230 dsg hatch. ive been given an approx. built date of week 36 (mid sept). soooo long!

but ive been doing some research into how I should drive her when I collect. some people say thrash it for the first 100 miles, to bed everything in, then drive normal after that. would appreciate everyones advice/experience/views on this. cheers guys.

aslettd230

Welcome!

The manual/handbook - can be downloaded as a PDF or as an app on android (probably ipad too?).

It has a section called "Driving in" (not running in, as we would say) and it recommends during the first 1000km (say 600 miles) no more than 3/4 maximum engine speed, no driving at full throttle, no trailer.Then next 500km the engine load can be increased up to the maximum permitted engine speed (a bit nonsensical IMO)

New tyres have to be run in - "drive especailly carefully for the first 500km.

New brakes have to "grind in" (!)  - drive especially carefully for the first 200km.

Their words, not mine. Enjoy the wait.