2001 Fabia remote operated fller cap

Just bought a 2001 Fabia 1.4 Comfort  19k miles

The petrol filler cap does not open from the lift up tab by the drivers seat - so can't fill up !

Any advice as to how to activate the mechanism would be appreciated - or does this sound like an expensive repair as some of the upholstery may have to come out to get at the operating cable !

You can fix it by pulling away the trim in the boot behind the filler cap and reattaching the cable.If you do a search theres a guide on here.

Edited by DC2990

I had this issue with my old 2004 estate Fabia. Just remove the trim on the filler side of the boot and you will find that the cable has come away from its mounting. Mine kept on coming away so in the end I put some superglue on it and that sorted it for good. Just be careful where you put the glue as you don't want to glue the cable end to the outer cable. I just put some around the collar where it fits into its mounting making sure that the cable was still free to move.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with my 2001 Elegance 1.4 16v I just bought. The petrol cap flap is not closing, so I had a look online. I did what other people suggested, went in the boot, found the cable and it was popped out, re-inserted it in its place. The cap closed perfectly this time around, but when I tried to open it from the release lever lear by the driver's seat, it won't work. The lever is now stiff and won't move up. I then went back and took the cable out, while asking my wife to operate the lever. When it is not inserted in its place, it works fine. I think it is because the cable bends back on itself when in it's operating position and that can impede movement. I squeezed some oil inside the cable sheathing, but to no avail. I think the previous owner had the same problem and in the end decided the best course of action was to leave the cable out and live with the petrol cap flap semi-open. However, with me being a perfectionist, that just won't do :-). Anyone had a similar problem as myself?