EGR cooler?

Has anybody had an issue with an EGR cooler on a CR engine?

Last week I left my car parked for about 3 days, When I started it up afterwards it spluttered a little then died. It then took about 3 times to start.

I didn't think much of it and set off but noticed steam out of the back. I pulled up and checked the water level which had dropped a little.

Water was topped up and it's not cut out since. I've watched the water level and noticed it drop a tiny bit and I get a puff of steam when I put my foot down when starting up in the morning. When left for a few hours there's no steam out of the exhaust.

It seems when left there is a tiny bit of coolant lose but no external leaks. I'm wondering if there's a small hole on the EGR cooler which is allowing coolant into the EGR valve which is then burnt off when first setting off.

There's no sign of water in the oil or vice versa.

Other than the EGR cooler I'd guess turbo but they're purely oil cooled aren't they on the CEGA?

The turbo is purely oil cooled and the egr valve cooler assembly leaking is a common issue on the vw caddy.

Thanks bud. My only other concern is HG failure on a water way or cracked/holed head but I doubt it's those. I'll have to phone TPS and price a cooler up.

I'm sure the CEGA uses a separate cooler from the egr valve unlike the later ones that frequently fail all across the 5 brands for other reasons.

I've only ever replaced 1 head on a 1.6cr but that was some time ago.

One common occurrence is the water pump leaking. This is often difficult to spot because:

-it's a small amount

-the undertray hides it

-the sound proofing sponge on the sump absorbs it

-heat from the engine evaporates most of the coolant before it can pool

I'm sure the CEGA uses a separate cooler from the egr valve unlike the later ones that frequently fail all across the 5 brands for other reasons.

I've only ever replaced 1 head on a 1.6cr but that was some time ago.

One common occurrence is the water pump leaking. This is often difficult to spot because:

-it's a small amount

-the undertray hides it

-the sound proofing sponge on the sump absorbs it

-heat from the engine evaporates most of the coolant before it can pool

Thanks James, I'll have to get it up in the air and check for external leaks. I've lost some coolant, Just the amount between the min and max marks.

I've priced up a cooler with TPS and they're £265 so I need to be certain where my coolant loss is from. I plan on changing the timing belt in the next month anyway so it would be nice if the water pump is at fault. 

Mine is the 2.0 CR, Are they the same layout and block as the 1.6?

Just out of interest, what would be fitted to a 2012 CR?

So far, on 87k, with no problems, no supermarket fuel, with oil temp reaching 107 degrees C on some runs.

Thanks

Just out of interest, what would be fitted to a 2012 CR?

So far, on 87k, with no problems, no supermarket fuel, with oil temp reaching 107 degrees C on some runs.

Thanks

A 2012 will have one like that in Terry's picture where the valve and cooler are both integrated.

thanks, is it inevitable that it eventually fails, and can it just be mapped out or is there any hardware change required?

Thanks James

I'd say the leak is definitely internal. I left work earlier, Put my foot down and had a puff of steam out of the exhaust. No more after that though.

It seems to be weeping in somewhere when left parked up for long periods.

Does the earlier cooler still leak into the EGR valve?

It covers the same intake tract so it's entirely possible.

I've not had a look yet but is there enough pipework there so I can bypass the cooler for a few days just to see if the coolant drops?

It's difficult to say, 80k and still working correctly is a good innings.

You can have them mapped out providing it's in good working order.

what is involved in mapping out?

what is involved in mapping out?

Well you can either have an off the shelf egr delete job with no performance benefits or have a full custom job with egr delete and performance related alterations included.

Mainly done through the obd port these days and can take up to a day to complete.

Edited by James@RRGRochdale

My car is already mapped but If the cooler is leaking I'm debating whether I should buy a delete kit for £75 and get the map adjusted to delete the EGR as a new genuine cooler is £265.

I've had the car remapped when warranty expired, for 25k now.

Would it just be a job of EGR delete and then mapped out?

Would this give a bit more power? How would it affect the driveability?

Thanks