SMIC, worth it for £70?

Suppose it's too late for the question but i took a punt on one of these - 

http://www.direnza.co.uk/volkswagen-golf-bora-mk4-1-8-1-9-tdi-aluminium-alloy-side-mount-intercooler.html

Got it new on ebay for €90 delivered (£70), obviously someone didn't want it.

I don't want the cost and fitting hassles of a FMIC and not paying for a forge one cos when i do get a remap i'm only after about 200bhp and more driveability really.

So did i waste my money? Really mixed reports on them, obviously a big FMIC is the way to go but not for me, i still need to do 600 miles per week and not after more lag or big power.

I'll fit it myself so no cost there and same pipes can be used so was it worth the €90 or should i just stay with standard? 
Would i be right in googling that the standard core is 64mm? Saw somewhere else 80mm ish mentioned? 

Thanks

I don't think you wasted your money. Some will say that they're no better than the standard smic but surely more alloy, more surface area, larger capacity equals cooler air? I saw a big improvement when I fitted one but my smic was a pattern part one and it was ****. That will plumb straight in, MAP port will be the only issue. I also got some neoprene washers because the damping washers off the standard one won't fit, I got them just to soften up the fixings a bit. I paid a bit less than 70 for mine though. Bare in mind it won't really give you more power in itself just less losses due to heat soak and should give more consistent driveability when pushing on. I think they're a happy medium between standard and fmic and a decent mod for the money.

Edited by YellowCar
  • Like 1

I don't think you wasted your money. Some will say that they're no better than the standard smic but surely more alloy, more surface area, larger capacity equals cooler air? I saw a big improvement when I fitted one but my smic was a pattern part one and it was ****. That will plumb straight in, MAP port will be the only issue. I also got some neoprene washers because the damping washers off the standard one won't fit, I got them just to soften up the fixings a bit. I paid a bit less than 70 for mine though. Bare in mind it won't really give you more power in itself just less losses due to heat soak and should give more consistent driveability when pushing on. I think they're a happy medium between standard and fmic and a decent mod for the money.

That's what i was hoping for :) 

Thanks.

The 1.8t 180bhp had 1 smic. Same engine with 225bhp was fitted with 2 smics. (If my memory serves me right).

My point is, that it works well for standard application, even when driving in a spirited manner.

It has its limitation though, if you enjoy traffic light GPs, then yes, residual heat will start to affect the air intake temp and the me7.x ecus (as on the mk1 vrs), will start to pull back timing and add fuel to cool the combustion chamber. Result is a bit less torque (mentioning fuel consumption is irrelevant at this point)

If you ate going for a stage1 remap and you drive sensibly then I would argue you have done the right thing.

If you want to squeeze more bhp per drop and if you want to constantly and consistently hammer it, then a high quality fmic is the way to go.

Two ends of the scale, plethora of options in between

• Like 1

Suppose it's too late for the question but i took a punt on one of these - 

http://www.direnza.co.uk/volkswagen-golf-bora-mk4-1-8-1-9-tdi-aluminium-alloy-side-mount-intercooler.html

Got it new on ebay for €90 delivered (£70), obviously someone didn't want it.

I don't want the cost and fitting hassles of a FMIC and not paying for a forge one cos when i do get a remap i'm only after about 200bhp and more driveability really.

So did i waste my money? Really mixed reports on them, obviously a big FMIC is the way to go but not for me, i still need to do 600 miles per week and not after more lag or big power.

I'll fit it myself so no cost there and same pipes can be used so was it worth the €90 or should i just stay with standard? 

Would i be right in googling that the standard core is 64mm? Saw somewhere else 80mm ish mentioned? 

Thanks

the direnza stuff is pretty good... its essentially an upgraded smic.... decent price, should remove the risk of the plastic OE leaking, and give a little more cooling.... and a little more reliability ... for atage one it will work fine with no issues :)

• Like 1

The 1.8t 180bhp had 1 smic. Same engine with 225bhp was fitted with 2 smics. (If my memory serves me right).

My point is, that it works well for standard application, even when driving in a spirited manner.

It has its limitation though, if you enjoy traffic light GPs, then yes, residual heat will start to affect the air intake temp and the me7.x ecus (as on the mk1 vrs), will start to pull back timing and add fuel to cool the combustion chamber. Result is a bit less torque (mentioning fuel consumption is irrelevant at this point)

If you ate going for a stage1 remap and you drive sensibly then I would argue you have done the right thing.

If you want to squeeze more bhp per drop and if you want to constantly and consistently hammer it, then a high quality fmic is the way to go.

Two ends of the scale, plethora of options in between

Thought the ecu retarded timing at 36 degrees? My uprated smic peaked at 38, only 2 degrees above and that wasn't until I hit redline from WOT in 3rd (it was legal of course). With that smic I don't think you'll reach conditions that often where it's an issue, I also had a vent in the arch and I modified the scoop in the duct to direct air onto it as it will have to be cut down with that cooler.

Of course retarded timing won't be an issue with an fmic, but I don't think it will be much if an issue here either especially with some venting.

Edited by YellowCar