strange intermittent noise from rear brake?

It's an odd noise, sounds like it could be something in the boot but pretty sure it's not. It's pretty intermittent, usually more frequent when warm, dry and brakes are warm. When it occurs it's only when gently braking at low speed, and it's a single almost ping like noise. It's not loud, and not every time. I intend to renew discs and pads anyway soon so I'm hoping this may rectify it. But in the meantime what are your thoughts, spring on a brake pad? Pad sliding across at a certain point?

It's pretty tricky to be able to recreate the noise and be in a position to tell where it's exactly coming from. I've been driving around with my head out the window like a dog and it's hardly done it. Difficult to specify noise location and direction, and probably not loud enough to record.

My local place had a quick look over and said there is nowt wrong with the brakes, although can't be sure how detailed their examination was, and I can't feel anything in the pedal.

Oh and it semi it's only when going forward, when sat with handbrake off pumping pedal it doesn't occur.

As a former tech these kind of faults can cause mayhem. If it was more frequent then it would be easier to identify but intermittant causes issues. Just make sure that the pad slides are all free and greased and with it being more so when warm make sure any heat shield or parts that will expand when warm are as they should be.

If it was apparent at lower speeds you cohld isolate each side to pinpoint exact side. You will no doubt be freaking out if this persists after brake overhaul lol

Good luck

Cheers. I'll lift the calipers off when I get chance and have a look. Any tips on how I can isolate which side it is? Will probably check out both sides as a matter of course, while I'm there I may as well fit the new discs and pads I suppose, will be getting them in a couple of weeks...

Its not overly recommended but you can clamp off a flexi hose to the caliper to put all the work on the other corners although there can be the risk of damaging the internal body of the flexi. Plus i would say keep it at car park areas and low speeds which may not help you. Tough call, i would go with making sure your fitting quality parts and replacing anything thats worn first mate

Noise located this morning to front right! Car acoustics are weird sometimes. Driven 100 miles today with work in all kinds of speed conditions and hasn't done it once. Only did it on school run this morning before the Mrs helped me locate it.

Guy at my local reckons there's plenty of wear left on the discs but being honest there's too much corrosion there for me. It's not interfering with pads but it just makes me wonder